Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 PM

Default river spot

really good borg 20/40 game

villain is a super tight, young kid who has been pretty card dead for the most part. some of us (including myself) have been busting on him for being such a folder. earlier, he 3bet someone's open raise and everyone pegged him for AA or KK, after the hand he defended himself by claiming he'll 3bet w/ 99 or 88 in certain situations. he's directly on my left.

anyway, I open with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], villain 3bets, it's folded to me and I just call. looking back, I probably should have capped it here but decided against it at the time.

flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I call.

turn is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

check, bet, I raise, he instacalls.

river is the [censored] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

hero??

thoughts on all streets appreciated.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: river spot

If you check, will he bet JJ/TT? I doubt it, which makes check/fold pretty attractive.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:17 PM

I dunno if he'll bet, but checking sends a pretty clear message that I don't have the straight. I think a lot of people will bluff there.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno if he'll bet, but checking sends a pretty clear message that I don't have the straight. I think a lot of people will bluff there.

[/ QUOTE ]

What position were you in? As long as it wasn't CO or HJ, then his range (after the turn call) is basically top 2+. There are no hands to bluff. So if he's not a relentless value bettor then you have a pretty easy c/f.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What position were you in? As long as it wasn't CO or HJ, then his range (after the turn call) is basically top 2+. There are no hands to bluff. So if he's not a relentless value bettor then you have a pretty easy c/f.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in early MP.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "there are no hands to bluff"...

are you saying there aren't any pf 3betting hands that can call a turn c/r and not have an Ace?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was in early MP.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "there are no hands to bluff"...

are you saying there aren't any pf 3betting hands that can call a turn c/r and not have an Ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you purposely trying to be difficult?
Range for a tight player to 3-bet an early MP opener:
AT+,KQ,88+. After the turn action, you can pretty clearly eliminate 88. So he has top 2 or better. You only beat KQ,JJ,TT. If he won't bet them for value after you check, then there is only one obvious play.

There was another thread with a similar hand on this forum recently where the board was KQJT and the oop player had top 2. The right play was less obvious there, but you ought to read it.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:47 AM

This thread reminds me of blundy's KQo hand where the line was bet/fold. I think that might apply here, unless we're so sure of the read that this guy has to have KK/AK/AQ here.