Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Tangling with the chip leader

I don't want to make it sound like I employ this strategy every time, as every situation is different, but recently I have LOVED when the chip leader of a tournament is moved to my table, or when my table has a ton of chips when I may only have an average stack. If a big stack raises I love calling in position with hands like 98suited, 86suited, sometimes even as mediocre as 47suited, because I see it as a great opportunity to accumulate chips if I hit the flop right without having to risk many chips (I generally just fold if I miss, as I play "weakly" unless I hit something strong).

Is this a sound strategy that will pay off or am I running hot?

Thanks,

~Bux
Old 01-30-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Tangling with the chip leader

i won't go down to 47 suited, but i'll play some speculative hands looking to flop big w/ position on what is usually an overaggressive bigstack.

and i also do not know if this is a leak or is a common practice....
Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 PM

It depends what your ratio of chips to blinds/antes are. If the blinds are 100-200 and you have 2000-3000 than you don't have much room to be cold calling raises with crap. This is a strategy used by most early on in tournaments though. When you have a ton of chips and can take some chances and you can implore this technique.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i also do not know if this is a leak or is a common practice....

[/ QUOTE ]

It goes against conventional wisdom, but I also find dancing with the aggressive big stack a way to find some loose chips. I find that a lot of the big stacks in the mid stages get "superman syndrome" and think they're bulletproof.

When I spot these guys, I beeline for them...
Old 01-30-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i also do not know if this is a leak or is a common practice....

[/ QUOTE ]

It goes against conventional wisdom, but I also find dancing with the aggressive big stack a way to find some loose chips. I find that a lot of the big stacks in the mid stages get "superman syndrome" and think they're bulletproof.

When I spot these guys, I beeline for them...

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the exact reason

and the only times i employ this practice is when i have a big stack as well or it is early on and i've spotted a pure gamblor who won't lay down hands.

you have to be careful with this and not overplay some midpair- keep in mind your objective. to hit a big drawn and play it well.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:09 AM

This is a part of my game that I've really changed in the last month. Calling raises with suited connectors or one gappers in position used to be something I never did. In fact, I used to moan when a bigstack or the chip leader was moved to my table. I was too weak and too scared to realize the opportunity of accumalation that was provided to me. Now I love playing these situations so much so that I've begun overplaying them. I guess that is expected when trying something new.

So yes I think it can be a leak if you abuse or try to force a situation instead of letting it unfold naturally, if that makes sense.

In that right situation though vs an overagg. bigstack or even a passive bigstack it can be the hand that paves the way for you. I even will repop it if I think the player is weak.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't want to make it sound like I employ this strategy every time, as every situation is different, but recently I have LOVED when the chip leader of a tournament is moved to my table, or when my table has a ton of chips when I may only have an average stack. If a big stack raises I love calling in position with hands like 98suited, 86suited, sometimes even as mediocre as 47suited, because I see it as a great opportunity to accumulate chips if I hit the flop right without having to risk many chips (I generally just fold if I miss, as I play "weakly" unless I hit something strong).

Is this a sound strategy that will pay off or am I running hot?

Thanks,

~Bux

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm deep, I love having a big stack on my right.

Whatever my stack, I hate having them on my left.

Regards,
Woodguy