Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Some hands for review

So i decided today to focus on learning omaha. I definitely suck at this game right now so please be patient with me...

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $124
UTG+1: $241.25
MP1: $133.55
MP2: $167.70
MP3: $211.65
CO: $230
Button: $226.20
SB: $107.70
Hero: $200

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
7 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($12, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $11.4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $45.6</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($103.2, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero?

First hand at the table facing blind steal....I figure i'm never that big of a dawg in omaha so i call. Flop play seems obvious but i get a terrible turn card and stacks are now awkward. What should i do?

-----------------

Poker Stars
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $120
Hero: $173
Button: $199
SB: $69.75
BB: $124.20

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $7.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $30.4</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($68.8, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $66.8</font>, UTG calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($202.4, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG is all-in $20.8</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $20.8 returned to UTG.

Results:
Final pot: $202.4

I flop a big draw which gets even bigger on the turn. Is this standard?

---------------------------
Poker Stars
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $236.25
UTG+1: $193
MP1: $351.50
Hero: $222.50
Button: $116
SB: $160.70
BB: $206.65

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $9</font>, 3 folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($21, 2 players)
MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $19.95</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($60.9, 2 players)
MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $57.95</font>, MP1 calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($176.8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $173.8</font>, Hero???

Is preflop bad? I'm trying to mix in some raises so they can't always put me on AA. Also, this seemed like a fairly easy river laydown to me so i'm just double checking...

----------

Anyway, i appreciate any help you guys give with these. Right now, i'm a sponge who's learning so i won't really be adding any analysis to this forum but hopefully as time goes on that will change [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
aggie
Old 10-26-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Some hands for review

Hand #1: bet 1/2 the pot representing trying to lure him in with a full, but fold to a raise. The thing to worry about is that he couldn't have bet a draw and might have K2 or a set and decided to smoothcall your flop raise with same. Nonetheless your hand has little chance to improve so you should bet as you want the same hand and AA.

Hand #2: Your draw isn't really that strong so I would just call on the flop. You want to be able to use your position to bluff a similar draw out when you both miss which means having enough left to do so. As played I would bet again if I thought he would now fold a weaker draw, but I would check behind if he plays low sets passively when meeting resistance and is a calling station with same.

Also for $20 more with that pot size, on the river I personally would call just to see what he had and how he played same for future reference.

Hand #3: Preflop raise is fine especially in position to mix things up. And as played the river fold is correct. However on the turn, again to mix things up, I would often check behind as I don't want to lose a worse flush draw, and as if the river brings a brick then a set may now bet which you get to raise, or you get a call from same when he checks where he might have folded a low set on the turn. The only time you lose value is to a similar straight that would have checkraised when you had a nice freeroll in the form of a flush draw, or when you are nearly certain he has a set and want to charge him to fill.

Again, it really pays to know who plays sets passively on the flop on drawing boards to know when you should check versus keep betting, and whether you gain more by slowplaying completed draws yourself with the attendant risk of giving a free card that could hurt you (you should rarely give tighter players free cards).
Old 10-26-2006, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #1: bet 1/2 the pot representing trying to lure him in with a full, but fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that 1/2 pot is practically all foe has behind.

That flop is ridiculously dry. I'm much more likely to raise with two pair if there's a two-flush out or some straight possibilities. I probably just fold the flop here, especially since your positional advantage is negated by stack sizes.

Edit: My turn to misread the hand. I failed to note you were HU after foe's PFR. I play the flop the same as you, and flip a coin on the turn as to whether you have any FE left.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably just fold the flop here

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH You still talking about hand 1 right??
Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 AM

Yeah, I wasn't quick enough with my edit. Why do I post this early?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:36 AM

hand 1 check behind, you are probably way ahead or way behind. Most likely river will go check check and you will win.

Hand 2 is pretty standard, you have a big draw and he will fold a lot of hands.

Hand 3 also standard. Checking behind turn would be pretty bad, it makes no sense against most of his range and not very much sense against the rest. If he has a full house he played it pretty strangely, but you still have to fold the river.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:59 AM

In hand 3 I call the river against a lot of opponents, especially if they are very aggressive and prone to bluffing. Against an unknown, fold is standard.

Hand 2 I usually play like you did but I sometimes check behind on turn.

Hand 1 I fold preflop if I am against anyone I recognise as half-decent. If I think I have a decent edge on my opponent I do in fact call preflop, and check behind turn. Possibly calling a river bet if it's a blank.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM

1 Fold Preflop
2 I just call on the flop, you have 13 outs which is a good amount but i would prefer to go to war with 17+
3 fold river
Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM

Hand 1,

Its not the easiest hand to play post, so you might wanna just give up your blind and muck it. In omaha its not about how big a dog you are as much as it is about a hand that will lose you alot of money post flop.

Flop raise is good/standard

Check the turn and let him bluff on the river as thats all your going to beat that puts in money to the pot a bluff). Fold to a river Ace. If he checks river check behind.

Hand 2,

Mix up taking a free card/betting the turn. You have some more outs, however you have less total equity than the flop b/c there is only 1 card to come.

Hand 3,

Raising preflop is great IMO, for lots of reasons. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
River is a turbo muck, unless he is a huge bluffing station.