Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 01:53 AM

Default What was the worst sports moment(s) of your high school career?

I had some great moments, but then there was this moment...

I was a junior on the football team. We played in the Detroit Catholic school league. In our third game of the season we played St. Hedwig, at the time a tough team with one bona-fide speedster. My position on the kickoff team was 'safety.' I would stand next to the kicker and lag behind the coverage team as the last man to beat.

Opening kickoff is deep and the speedy player comes straight down the middle of the field, breaks through the coverage and it is me and him at about the 40 yard line. He tries to put a move on me and I hit him in the waist/thighs. I didn't get low enough and he bounces off me going all the way for the touchdown. Two point conversion - good.

Fast forward to 4:00 left in the game and we finally score, then fail on the two point conversion. 8-6. It is obvious we are going for the onside kick, but our [censored] coach calls this trick play. What happens is our kicker is all set to go, but then walks up to the ball on the tee and pretends to make an adjustment. While he is doing that another player comes to talk to me for a moment as I am only two steps from the ball. When the kicker and other player turn to go back and get set - I suddenly turn and kick the ball catching the receiving team off guard.

Well everything went as planned except for when I nearly missed the ball and it only went about two or three yards! I was soooo nervous, then in a state of shock. So I picked up the ball and tried to throw it toward the sidelines, but the referee ruled it was the receiving team's ball at the spot where I picked it up. Ugh. The only good thing I remember is that I was the defensive signal caller(strong safety) so I didn't have to go to the sidelines.

The happy ending is that we stopped them three and out. I made a decent punt return and we wound up winning on a miracle 40 yard touchdown pass with under a minute to play. Our team then went on to an undefeated 8-0 season.

I was elated and did one of the worst victory dances in school history. I still wonder what it would have been like had we lost. I know chances are we would not have recovered an onside kick, but I still don't know how I would have ever recovered.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 AM

Default Re: What was the worst sports moment(s) of your high school career?

Only hooking up with 2 of the members on the girls swimming team when I probably could have had like 10.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 AM

For the first time in 9 years of playing football, I was slated to start my senior year at NG. Note that I was 5'6", 155 pounds and I played for a good-sized and very reputable team. Would not have thought this would be where I would begin my career as a starter.

Alas, first play of the first game I beat the guy in front of me and went to make a tackle for loss, only to have the lineman dive on top of me from behind, driving me into the ground and bruising my collar bone. Out that game, very limited effectiveness the next week, but in Week 3 I was ready to go again.

Early in the 2nd quarter we're returning a kick and I'm blocking and our returner is tackled into the back of my knee. Torn ACL, season/career over.

I just wasn't meant to be a football player.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:12 AM

wow, so your coach started you at NG when you were 5'6" 155lbs? Did he hate you or something?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:15 AM

One involves coming up 2 inches short, the other involves going 1/4 inch too far.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, so your coach started you at NG when you were 5'6" 155lbs? Did he hate you or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, actually we've always used small quick nose guards. We played a 5-2 defense with stand up ends, standard big tackles, and quick nose guards. Your standard 230 pound center or whatever would be average for our league is some fat, reasonably strong, but slow white kid, so it isn't too hard to shoot by him on a stunt and cause havoc in the backfield.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:21 AM

getting cut [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 02:27 AM

my last game. soccer team was ranked in the state. seeded 2 in our division. we lose in the 3rd round of the playoffs in 40 degree weather with sleet coming sideways. gave up 2 goals in the final 5 minutes. defender botched a clear directly to their forward. diff defender didnt mark a backside forward who slotted an easy goal. even the juniors were crying afterward. i didnt but i still think about it.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:35 AM

I was a pretty average football player. When I was able to start I usually did not do to well. I do remember the season finale of my sophomore year I started at guard. I made every block that game and we still lost. I never felt so powerless. I did everything I could and it did not work out.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 AM

I needed surgery on my ankle sophomore year because of a football injury. If I was a few inches taller and maybe a little more muscular naturally, I'm pretty convinced I would have played at least D2 scholarship ball. For reference, I was friends with a D3 scholarship guy, and I was easily better in every way except physical size.