Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 05:03 PM

Default When to call the Floor?

I've done a search or two, and I only find specific situations where a floor has been called. I have also read the newbie FAQ and didn't see anything addressing this.

I'll be in Vegas for the first time at the end of Feb (first time live poker too), and I hope to not have any issues. However, I don't want to be taken advantage of, or to be a jerk.

I would have never thought about this before checking out this forum, and I'm hoping this is just the extreme end of things. Can anyone give me, or point me to some kind of guide as to when to request the floor, or potentially bad situations? I realize that is pretty general.

I've already got it noted to protect my cards with a chip, always table my cards, and to clearly announce "Call", "Raise", "Check". Oh and to tip $1 every pot won. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: When to call the Floor?

In general the dealer should call for the floor when there is a gaming irregularity. I think I have asked for the floor fewer than 10 times in my life.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:14 PM

I've called the floor once in my life, at the Aladdin. I wasn't even in the hand but when there was a straight on the board and the dealer insisted (in Hold'em) that you had to play one card in your hand I yelled "FLOOR" without even thinking about it.

Generally the dealer does call the floor but if you have any issue and the dealer does not address it you may ask a floorperson. But if it involves a hand you are in you have to do it right away because the floor cannot make a ruling on a hand once it's over.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:23 PM

Good. I'm encouraged then that a situation will not come up then.

Thank you for the replies.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:10 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Don't be afraid to call the floor, that is their job. I doubt that you will have to call the floor but don't hesitate if you think it is needed.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:13 PM

I've only played maybe 7-10 days total B&M in my life and not once did a single player call the floor, however the dealer called for them a total of 5-6 times, either because htey were unsure of how to proceed to they would tell a player why they were doing something and it was clear the player didn't like it, so they just called the floor themselves.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general the dealer should call for the floor when there is a gaming irregularity. I think I have asked for the floor fewer than 10 times in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer SHOULD call the floor themselves, without any prompting. But if things are getting funky, feel free to ask the dealer to call the floor. If the dealer is trying to "fix" something without calling for help, say. And there are just times I recognize long before the dealer that the floor will be needed (often because I've been sitting there for 3 hours with some ahole at the table who's been a constant problem that this dealer has only seen for 5 minutes).

If the dealer refuses, which is rare but happens, I'll do it. Or if I just happen to see the floor walking past but I'm not quite at my normal threshold for calling, I'll motion 'em over just to speed things along.