Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM

Default What do you hate about Poker Tracker?

I'm developing a web based poker analysis product similar to what Poker Tracker provides for your PC.

My question is this: What do you hate about Poker Tracker? What do you wish it did but doesn't do?

My goal is to make this a free product where usage is throttled in a similar manner to Gmail (you have to be invited to get in, and each person only gets X number of invites at a time).

Thanks for any response. It's much easier to build features in ahead of time instead of doing so after the fact. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: What do you hate about Poker Tracker?

One database for HORSE instead of 3.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 PM

The ridiculous slowness of importing hands.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM

Performance. It's slow.

Windows only. I want to run it on a Mac and/or Linux.

Analysis tool is the same program as the import tool. There's three basic components. Importing hands into the database. The database itself. The analysis and reporting tool. I shouldn't have to run any more than one of those on any one machine. e.g., I'd love to have just a hand importer running while I datamine and/or play, then open up the full PT style tool later for session analysis, etc..
Old 10-24-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Juk,

Get a server to do that work, then it doesn't matter how long it takes. My server routinely imports 400+ hands in less than a minute because that is all that it does. Keeps my play rig running smooth too.

Reptile,

You can run the PostgreSQL server on a linux box. I am working on trying to get the PT to execute in linux, but it would be even slower than it is now running through an adapter.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 PM

very little =)
Old 10-24-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Juk,

Get a server to do that work, then it doesn't matter how long it takes. My server routinely imports 400+ hands in less than a minute because that is all that it does. Keeps my play rig running smooth too.

[/ QUOTE ]
My DBs kinda start off OK (perhaps even 400 hands/min even), but then they get slower and slower and slower, until it becomes unbearable.

For example: It now takes about 45-50mins to import about 2-3k SNG hands into my new SNG DB, but then just to add to this torture... it takes about 10 mins to open the stats window just so I can see how many SNGs I've played in a day (I recently discovered that exporting all the HH files into c:\temp and just counting them their was much faster and could be done in about 2/3 mins!).

I just have this feeling that the combination of the PowerBuilder parsers and the "standard" DBs is making the whole process 2-3 orders of magnitude slower than it needs to be:

Perhaps 6/7 years ago, on a humble 233MHz machine, I can remember making a custom chess DB from pretty much all the available PGN file on the net (somewhere in the region of 5-6 million games & 2/3million unique games after duplicate removal). The entire process took about 45 minutes, and the parser for the PGN games was likely much more complex than for any poker site; due to the fact that the PGN games had been typed in by hand with lots of errors, rather than just machine generated .hhf files (hence I had to actually run a chess engine as a sanity check while parsing).

Ok, so my DB was static, but if forced to it wouldn't have been so hard to use some clever O(log n) algorithms to help and I'm pretty sure even a hand crafted dynamic DB would have worked almost as fast.

Another example: There is a utility called "TradingSolutions" (which is linked to a NN training package called "NeuroSolutions") which I tried using a couple of years back. It basically uses an Access DB to hold all of the time series. Well to cut a long story short, if you wish to take a 5-point moving average on a time series with just 300 samples, it takes only a few hundred multiplications and additions and should take just a few micro seconds on a modern PC to compute... Instead it actually takes several seconds because of the DB overhead; making what should be a 1 second job take several hours to complete...

Old 10-24-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Juk,

[/ QUOTE ]
My DBs kinda start off OK (perhaps even 400 hands/min even), but then they get slower and slower and slower, until it becomes unbearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, you're using an Access database, right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Juk,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, you're using an Access database, right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
At the moment yep, but I did try PGSQL a while back and it didn't work any better for me (I have a oldish/crap PC though).

First off it would always crash after about a day of trying to import my 6max limit hands (900k hands). Then I eventually took it to a much better machine, got them all imported, transferred it via backup to my PC... then found it was pretty much unusable for retrieval for PlayerView/PAHUD and deleted it.

Later attempts at using PGSQL haven't been any better either, with no better import performance. So given the choice I just went back to Access again, as PGSQL didn't really help at all [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

On the other hand, I was running a PokerManager DB with 3 million hands in it without problems. It was much much faster to import right from the start (3-4x faster) and there was no noticeable performance decay as I added hands (even with 3 million hands in it!). Sadly Ben didn't get much interest in PM and has decided to concentrate on other projects now.

I've never tried PokerOffice yet, but the reviews I've read, and the fact that it was written using Java, tend to make me think it's performance isn't any better.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is this: What do you hate about Poker Tracker?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's poorly organized, menus are complex etc.