Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Studio 60 - Episode 6 (10/23/06)

Anybody still watching this???

Old 10-24-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Studio 60 - Episode 6 (10/23/06)

I actually thought last night's episode was one of the better ones so far. Probably because it was at least different in that it wasn't an episode about the writing of another week of Studio 60, so it was at least something different and we got to see a different side of the characters. I was pretty annoyed about the "old guy" storyline but I liked the way they tied it all together in the end and gave some reason to that 10 minute long history lesson that Nate Corddry's character gave too.

But I'm definitely not liking the show as much as I thought I'd like it when I first heard about it.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:47 PM

Of course, there was nothing else on at 10pm last night, so I tuned in after a couple of week absence.

Does Sorkin really think that "Who's On First" is the greatest comedy routine of all-time? I honestly did not find it funny when I was 8...nevermind as an adult.

The show is just so unbelievably self-important. The bit where Perry and Hughley hired the black comic as a writer after a completely unfunny and non-thought provoking stand-up routine was laughably unrealistic.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM

I think "Whos on First" is one the funniest comedy routines of all-time, so I can't fault Sorkin too much on that one.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM

I fell asleep part way through and will watch the last like 30 minutes tonight I think, but what I saw was [censored] horrible.

I'd been watching the first Sports Night DVD this weekend, and that doesn't make this show look any better. Everybody just feels hollow and unrealistic, and it's just trying to hard to matter when it really [censored] doesn't.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:49 PM

Sam - haha just started a thread on it (deleted it). Yeah I'm still watching this thing.

Well, I had some renewed hope for this series from Episode 5, which while not brilliant, I felt showed some promise.

This is the only new series I cared about at all going into the fall (kind of Six Degrees also) and it has been very dissapointing to-date. Last night's episode had all the elements of a quality episode (no show-within-a-show production element, just focusing on the characters at a wrap party, Old Hollywood, lack of black writers et al) and Sorkin dropped the ball each time.

Hughley, who I had reserved my opinion on, is slowly replacing Paulson as my least favorite actor on the series. He is just bad imo.

The show felt clunky, awkward, and was poorly executed. It's surprising to see Sorkin be so cliched (this is especially true in the Hughley "I can see South Central from my pool" scene. So bad.).

I'm a glutton for punishment, and maybe Sorkin will start to hit the right notes, and the execution will be there going-forward, so I'm gonna keep watching. I think Sorkin may be building to something, and I'm starting to buy the fictional Studio 60 as a potential lightning rod / vehicle for examining deeper cultural / social issues in the U.S.

Ratings - 2nd lowest rated episode of the season, A18-49 3.2

-Al
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a glutton for punishment, and maybe Sorkin will start to hit the right notes, and the execution will be there going-forward, so I'm gonna keep watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I liked that it was finally an episode that didn't focus on writing/producing the show and I guess it allowed for the development of two of the main cast members (Hughley/Cordry).

I have a hard time believing Amanda Peet's character going from very confident to completely insecure after a couple glasses of wine. The head guy challenging Whitford to a fight also seemed a little strange.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:05 PM

IMO, Steven Weber's character is one of the most interesting on the show.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 PM

Wow, I liked this episode better than any other so far.

I hear you like the clubs.
The Cubs?
The CLUBS.
Give me a break.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2006, 01:29 PM

I really had high hopes for this episode since it was going to be in a different setting than the rest. But, it was another letdown. The comedy scenes aren't funny and the drama scenes are just weak.

I guess the old guy was supposed to be nostalgic, but his scenes and the entire background on the theatre were just a huge waste of time.

I like Peet, but I think her character is getting a little unbelievable as the head of a network. She was acting like a stupid schoolgirl in this episode.

I really hope this show steps it up, soon.