Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 05:31 AM

Default If God Gave Every Individual Human Free Will

then how is it they every one, including those not yet born, must necessarily deserve to go to hell? If it is beyond the capacity of a human to behave sinlessly or however would be necessary to get into heaven without a "pardon", then humans don't have free will.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Re: If God Gave Every Individual Human Free Will

Are you saying religions don't make any logical sense?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 AM

Yes, to have free will would require the ability to not participate in the game. To be forced to it, worse, without explicit and obvious rules, invalidates the meaning of freewill.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 AM

Yes Free will contradicts "God's omniscience."
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then how is it they every one, including those not yet born, must necessarily deserve to go to hell? If it is beyond the capacity of a human to behave sinlessly or however would be necessary to get into heaven without a "pardon", then humans don't have free will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't follow any more than because I can't fly by flapping my arms means I haven't got free will.

This deserve to go to hell its such a noxious idea but it could work like trying to get into a cricket team. You can use free-will to train and apply but in the end you need to be selected which is more down to who you know and where you went to school.

chez
Old 10-24-2006, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes Free will contradicts "God's omniscience."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Just his omnipotence.

Well. It could be an initial starting condition for life. Damned to eternal meaninglessness and no chance of paradise if you don't "pass his moral standards".

<shrugs> Kinda silly if you ask me.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 AM

David,

Your argument falls down because by logical extension it would mean that someone with an average IQ who couldn't understand the math and theories of physics that a genius physicist could somehow too lacks free will. Such a person doesn't actually lack free will, but the means to accomplish that will.

However even so, you argument does apply to the fundamentalists who would say that the New Guinea man of the year 1 A.D. who had no chance to hear the gospel preached was condemned for not believing, while at the same time maintaining God nonetheless loved that man yet chose not to give him the means he gave others who also lacked the power to be saved without God's grace.

Note this doesn't mean that I believe God never plays favorites and doesn't give some men more chances (greater grace) to be saved, but just that He gives all some minimal chance.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If God Gave Every Individual Human Free Will
then how is it they every one, including those not yet born, must necessarily deserve to go to hell?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you inherited it from your parents. Just like you end up with certain traits that cause you to look like your parents or grandparents, you received their sinful nature as well.

[ QUOTE ]
If it is beyond the capacity of a human to behave sinlessly or however would be necessary to get into heaven without a "pardon", then humans don't have free will.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have both the ability to reject God and the ability to come to Him through the voluntary sacrifice of Jesus.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have both the ability to reject God and the ability to come to Him through the voluntary sacrifice of Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just have no way of knowing which way is right before you have decided, and then you will be convinced/brainwashed you are right. I hope you are on the right side txag007, because if you are not, it is gonna hurt. Not that I predict that as an atheist. We are kinder types of people. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just have no way of knowing which way is right before you have decided, and then you will be convinced/brainwashed you are right. I hope you are on the right side txag007, because if you are not, it is gonna hurt. Not that I predict that as an atheist. We are kinder types of people. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt that. Some of you seem like reformed ex-smokers at times though. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]