Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 7 vs 10
New kid in town 5 12.20%
Take it easy 36 87.80%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Stupidity or genius against a Lag I have a read on?

So Im playing at Paradise a full 0.5/1 table last night. I raise K7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] out of CO. Weak Button cold calls and BB calls.

Reads: BB is a 45/22 lag semi tard over a few hundred hands. Not a crazy mofo lag but definitely quite willing to try and push people around but also not the type to go balls to the wall when faced with aggro. In previous sessions BB attacked my blind mercilessly from 3 seats to my right. BB will pump a draw and is a bet if checked to type. BB also is a fan of FPS. No read given on button because he folds the flop.

Villian's read on me: If BB has been paying attention he/she will have me pegged as being tight and unlike most paradise players probably has picked up on the fact my fold button does not gather dust like most of the stations there. Simply put, when I 3bet or raise I get respect from BB (ie wont cap with crap). I doubt BB has been me showdown a bluff yet.

Anywho, back to the hand.

flop comes monotone [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s. all 10s or lower and not really connected (assume something like 10,6,4 or similar) and no 7.

BB checks, I continuation-bet, button folds, BB checkraises, I 3bet, villian folds

Now, it worked this time and gave me a rush becuase I got away with something a little crazy....do you think I pushed the envelope?

bonus question: if BB calls the 3 bet and turn is does not help Hero but is also a likely blank for villian, whats your turn line?

Berate away. I still feel icky.

ozi
Old 10-24-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Stupidity or genius against a Lag I have a read on?

Like it.

This is such an obvious spot for a bluff from the LAG, it has to be worth playing back at him.

If he calls and then leads the turn, I'm folding. If he checks, I have a very difficult decision.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:28 AM

Seems fine to me. You are taking a stand against a maniac who you rightly think might not have very much. If he calls the flop I'd bet the turn and expect a fold enough times to make it profitable. If he calls the turn I'd just check behind on the river though.

It feels good to bluff a bluffer doesn't it?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 AM

Against the type of player you describe, I think the play works very, very well in the right circumstances. I have done this once or twice against similar overly aggressive types, but it isn't something I would do with regularity.

As for your bonus question, if a non-spade blank falls on the turn, and Villain checks to Hero, I think the same bet/3bet line would be best, but the 3bet would be spewing against certain opponents (good vs. not-good thinking).
Old 10-24-2006, 01:51 AM

It's okay. I don't mind playing back every now and then. But if you show down junk, be ready to back way off for a while.

BTW - You can sometimes check behind on the flop and raise the turn donk against this sort of player. This mimics a fishy slowplay and they'll give you credit for it very often.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 AM

Ozi & all,

what's your opinion on how fast one should click the RAISE button in this situation?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 AM

As long as you don't get addicted to making moves like that they are perfectly legitimate moves to make.

The thing about making complicated bluffs is making sure your back story matches your moves.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:21 AM

The raise button timing question: Let's put it this way, if someone has loaded the autobet button what do you do normally?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How fast should you press

[/ QUOTE ]
Well… it depends. Speed of a bet can show so many things… that partial information thing again.

Typically, a fast raise means a strong/made hand, but there are players I’ve seen (.25/.50 level) that will toss that re-raise in as a semi-bluff (ie, holding pocket 9’s on a dry flop).

SO… make it fast if you’re bluffing.

S l o w raises are usually a strong hand trying to look weak. Very dangerous, and I take a note on any player who makes that move.

Slow calls mean he has crap but still has a dream (gutshot, A hi, etc). Value bet them relentlessly as safe cards fall.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 AM

With all the people multitabling out there, I put very little stock in time delay. Although for some reason I delay a bit when I single table. Maybe a contradiction I dunno, but so many people value the read off how long it takes to play a hand. If I delay it can mess up that routine and throw them off a bit.