Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Paging OOT Chefs (Cardsharpcook, etc)

I'd like to get my girlfriend's parents a new cutlery set for x-mas. I'm working on a $150 budget here. It doesn't need to be ridiculously nice Messermeister or Wusthof stuff, but I don't want Target junk either.

I've checked out Macy's and they have a wide range of what appears to be decent cutlery.

I'm leaning more towards a 7 or 8 piece set, as they really don't use smaller steak knives. However, if I can get a nice set of 13 at the same price, it wouldn't hurt to have the extra steak knives.

A couple options...

Set 1

Set 2

Set 3

Set 4

Set 5
Old 10-23-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Paging OOT Chefs (Cardsharpcook, etc)

This all seem a little cheapish. For quality you want something that has a good thick blade and has a solid won't fall apart construction. You can't really tell this from pictures though. You really have to go handle the knives to get a judge of weight/construction.

Look at this set. Mundial 7-peice set

I've had this set for years and it is still in great shape. Nice large heavy blades, well-made. It's $150 for only 7-pieces but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:06 PM

I'd suggest taking a look at Global knives. I just bought the 8 inch chef's knife and I love it. I'd think that's all you need, as opposed to an entire set. I've read really good reviews on these knives too.

Global Chef's Knife
Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 PM

For that budget, you might want to focus on just one nice chef's knife rather than trying to get a whole set. I bought a nice Wusthof when I was in Germany a few years ago and it ran me about $100US. You can look at something like that plus maybe a good paring knife or the like, but I don't think you'll be able to get the quality you're looking for in a whole set for $150.

Knives are just one of those "you get what you pay for" things, I think.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Global are good no doubt but if the gf's parents are like most people a knife that good is a waste of money. As an example my gf's mother has a pretty expensive Wusthof that she regularly uses on her glass cutting board and runs through the dishwasher etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 PM

I agree with RDH. Getting a lot of 2nd rate knives vs. one really good knife, I'd much rather get the nice knife. A good knife should last you your entire life. These knives.... I'd be like, "great thanks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]" and then either let them clutter up my storage space or find a friend moving into an his own apt for the first time, and give them to him.

FWIW, as a wedding gift I bought my buddy and his wife a nice Messermeister 10" chef's knife ($80) and had it engraved (for free by a beautiful girl named Lauren((IT WAS TWO YEARS AGO HOW DO I REMEMBER THAT!!!))) and they love it. Oh, and engraving usually is free or costs $1 or two per knife. But my advice is to go to the store and pcik out a knife, or a steak set which you;d look at and say, "if this was for me, it'd be the last XXX I'd ever need to buy."

And everybody loves an engraving. If you know it is primarily for the mother, engrave her name on it. She'd love that.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM

It's ironic that you say one quality knife > multiple average knives, because I was strongly considering getting them one or two high end multi purpose knives...rather than a full set.

I'll take that into strong consideration, and probably just go that route. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she regularly uses on her glass cutting board

[/ QUOTE ]
*Shudder*. I didn't know they really made glass cutting boards. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] What a bad plan.
-Sam
Old 10-23-2006, 11:20 PM

#2. most home cooks want light weight over heavy duty, santoku style knife is a great feature. or mac santoku (http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Browse.asp) = best.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 PM

If they already have a set... don't try to replace it. Go with the previous advice of getting them *one* good knife. I bust out the paring knife or whatever every once in awhile.. but I use my chef's knife all the time.

Plus, if you do anything to their daughter - it's better they stab you with a good sharp knife instead of a dull one.

Trust me.