Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Should I have been in this hand? 8/16 at the Bellagio.

At the Bellagio, playing 8/16 limit and running pretty good. Have never played this limit before, but Bellagio doesn't have 5/10 so I took a chance. Felt fairly comfortable with the players, meaning I knew who was aggressive, tight, loose, etc. and I had played with most of them for about 4+ hours and was up.

I am one before the button and decide to limp in with 7 8 hearts, there were two limpers before me and I figured the blinds would play. The button raises to 16, the SB calls, the BB raises to 24 and the two players before me call. I know the button will call. And I'm pretty sure the SB will call. The two players before me are fairly loose, so I decide to call the two additional bets. Button calls as does the small blind. 6 people playing with 3 bets each.

Should I have called here? At the time I was thinking probably not. There were a lot of people in the pot, my hand wasn't great, etc. The other part of me said there is a lot of money in the pot, I have been running really well and if I hit the flop -- great, if I don't, then I feel its easy to get rid of the cards after the flop.

Flop comes 5 6 A which makes me open ended. SB bets, BB calls, 3rd person calls, fold, and I call as does the button. Turn is a 9, I hit my straight, no flush draws. I don't remember the betting for the remainder of the hand, but three people stayed in with a lot of back and forth betting/raising the turn and river. River was a blank.

Small blind had hit two pair. Someone else hit a set.

When I showed the straight (and won a very large pot), I got a lot of raised eyebrows for the hand, which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think if it had been 2 or 3 bet after the flop I might not have called. And if I didn't hit my card on the turn, then I know I would have dumped it.

I'm just looking for opinions. I've been playing hold em for a bit and love the game, but I have a tough time with pot odds etc. Not sure if playing this was the "correct" thing to do.

Thanks.

Note: I should probably mention that I don't play that often. Once a year trip to Vegas and maybe 6 trips yearly to Foxwoods. Not as much as I would like to.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Should I have been in this hand? 8/16 at the Bellagio.

There are ALOT of problems with your thinking and your post. It seems that you are a casual player and you do it for fun, so, my thought is that you keep playing recreationaly and just have fun.

I feel like you are making this post as your third post ever on this forum because someone might have said something nasty to you at the table or someone gave you a bad look. If they did this, it is their problem and you are playing for fun and it is a game so [censored] them.

Like I said, there are a lot of problems with the post and problems with the play that would take me a long time to write and I don't think you would really care to read it.

If you are playing for fun, do not let all the serious people bring you down. You won a huge pot and had fun playing. Don't let them affect you.

If you really want to know the inns and outs of the hand I may spend some time tonight answering it if that is the case but otherwise just have fun man.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:37 PM

Were you thinking maybe button would raise the flop for you? That would have been sweet.

I think you were fine calling two back to you preflop. Considering folding this before the river when you have eight outs to the nuts is nuts.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:46 PM

i don't have any problem with the way you played the hand. I'd make this call pre-flop all day and night.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM

In this spot with this hand and 2 limpers calling is fine. You could also raise preflop as it adds deception to your play, often buys you the button, and gives you a free turn card as everyone will likely check to you on the flop.

With the raise and reraise after you called, you are possibly making a marginal mistake to call, however considering that both preflop limpers called first, you're getting pretty decent odds to call here and like you said, if you hit your straight, a flush, trips, or 2 pair, you're likely to win a huge pot. I would call this just like you did. This is an easy hand to get away from if you miss.

You flop an OESD. Good job. I would raise the flop. 3 players are already in and there's a 1 in 3 chance you're going to hit your straight. Everyone who already bet or called will likely call your raise, so this gives you great value for your hand. This could also buy you a free card if you miss on the turn. It's possible that the SB will 3 bet and knock out the other players, but most live players aren't that aggressive and will simply call.

I wouldn't feel bad about the way you played it at all. You could be more aggressive, but as a casual player your thought process is fine.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:58 PM

Seems fine to me, I think I might raise this flop though.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:05 PM

Don't worry about any comments here. With 6 people in I would call 2 with an 18 sb pot. My only concern would be that the button might raise and I'd have to pay 3 but I'd still call here.

78s is a hand that you can very easily fold on the flop if you get nowhere near it but can make a monster pot when you win (like here).

I raise this flop for value and to try and get a free card. If the SB 3 bets he may knock out a few players but then again many people will call with a lot in a pot this big. I think its worth it.
[ QUOTE ]

I think if it had been 2 or 3 bet after the flop I might not have called. And if I didn't hit my card on the turn, then I know I would have dumped it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence but this is horrible thinking. You have an oesd to the nuts. You'll get there about 1 in 3 times. It'd be pretty rare that a fold on the flop or turn could ever be correct here.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 AM

if the original limpers would have folded I think you should fold pf. as it went calling two more is fine. as you and other posters have mentioned you're not going to be sticking around with a dominated top pair, you're either going to get a draw to a powerhouse or get out. get as much money into the pot on the flop as you can. you know everyone is sticking around so raise, hope it gets 3 bet and then when everyone still calls you can cap it (or 4 bet if it is a 5bet cap game). this is a perfect example of having pot equity with so many players in the hand. you are never folding the turn here.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 AM

Thank you to all who replied. Yes, I am a casual player, but I enjoy the game and want to gain a better understanding of some of the play. That said, all of your replies were extremely helpful. (i.e. calling preflop was ok given the amount of people, etc) And the recommendations on how to play were even better (reraising, don't fold on the turn etc.). I am a lurker, have started reading some of the books out there and am looking to improve how I play when I get the chance to.

Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:49 PM

Lots of good advice here, but before you think about it too hard makes sure that you understand why this:

[ QUOTE ]
I think if it had been 2 or 3 bet after the flop I might not have called. And if I didn't hit my card on the turn, then I know I would have dumped it.

[/ QUOTE ]

is very wrong.