Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Party 750k Hand - KK on Button w/ action in front

The following is a buddy's hand from yesterday's 750k that he and I have been discussing - I don't have the hand history but have the facts.

Party 750k - very early level 1 - about the 5th hand - no reads - nothing out of line at the table to this point - all stacks about starting point.

Hero gets KK on button.

UTG raises to 50
UTG+1 calls
MP1 calls
MP2 raises to 250
3 folds

Hero ??

Part of what we're discussing are the hand ranges we have for this action at this point in the tourney and how it may or may not be different in a tourney with this buy-in as opposed to the $20/$30/$50s we usually play. Your thoughts on the ranges, potential differences, and your choice of action here would be greatly appreciated.

HC
Old 01-30-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Party 750k Hand - KK on Button w/ action in front

Push.

And (apparently) lose when AA calls.

Without reads ranges for all involved are very wide, but who cares about ranges when you have KK?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:02 PM

LOL - this actually isn't a bad beat post ;-)
Old 01-30-2006, 03:04 PM

Push sounds good to me. MP2 is calling, and if he doesn't, that's not bad, we just picked up 300 chips without a showdown. Unless he has AA, we're in good shape.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:30 PM

On the button with a raise like that, I might take a risk and just call on the button. I wouldn't expect the SB or BB to call. I'm okay holding KK with position on 1 or 2 opponents. I'm not anxious to shut everybody down preflop.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:33 PM

I think MP2 calls the raise with a worse hand (AK, TT-QQ) often enough for a push to be worth it. Call and trap isn't a bad line either though. I wouldn't fault anyone for doing that. I'd mostly push, but if I was feeling frisky, I'd call. Say, 80% push, 20% call.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 PM

Is the starting stack 1500? I don't particularly want the early raiser to come along, so I'd probably re-raise to 500 or so, because I think that I'd want one caller. I'm not folding KK this early against a bunch of unknowns.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think MP2 calls the raise with a worse hand (AK, TT-QQ) often enough for a push to be worth it. Call and trap isn't a bad line either though. I wouldn't fault anyone for doing that. I'd mostly push, but if I was feeling frisky, I'd call. Say, 80% push, 20% call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Mostly I don't want to lose action from hands like QQ-TT postflop when the flop comes with an A or a K, and like you said I think lots of these hands will call the push preflop.

If I knew the re-raisor to be solid and capable of laying down big hands preflop then i like the call better. But w/o reads I just shove and watch the donks call with trash.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:55 PM

I would call here. I don't really mind playing a pot 3 handed with position with KK here.

I don't like a push as much as the other posters. Starting stacks are 2500, and this is a 500$ tourney. Sure there will be a few donks that will call a push with AK or JJ but i think for the most part you are allowing Villains to play pretty optimally. I also want more than 300 chips, and i'm willing to increase my variance a little to try and double up.

If u need to raise i like a push the best, since hopefully it will look like AK or JJ instead of AA or KK

This also allows you to get away from AA i think if UTG pushes and MP cold calls. I THINK
Old 01-30-2006, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I was assuming a starting stack of 1500. With 2500 calling or, re-raising a smaller amount is better.