Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Dungeon (GAME THREAD)

You are part of a group of 18 adventurers, intrepid ones of course, who have been hired by a nearby township to investigate the recent deaths of a number of farm animals and the failure of all the crops throughout their valley.

The group's Mystic traced the corruption to a series of caverns in the rocky hills above the town. The Thief and Assassin scouted inside and discovered that inside the natural caverns, there were deeper caverns carved by hand. The party moved forward to explore.

A number of minor battles were fought, with minor creatures who live off of corruption. There was even a pair of Lesser Demons, who were quickly dispatched by Barbarian axes, and the warriors' wounds were just as quickly tended by one of the Clerics. The party moved deeper into the tunnels.

The group entered a large open cavern lit from above by a phosphorescent glow in the high ceiling. In the very center of the cavern there was an incomplete pentagram painted in deepest red, and inside the pentagram, a man bound and gagged, apparently unconscious.

The Druid, always a bit of a tree-hugger, ran forward to help. His silver knife cut the strange man's bonds, and the man stirred, then blinked his eyes open. "Thank goodness, you've come just in time! It was horrible! They were about to sacrifice me to summon a horde of demons into the world! They must have run off just as you arrived."

While the Clerics and Paladins calmed the man down and checked him over for wounds, the Diviner got a faraway look in his eyes, and moved over to murmur something to the Psionic, who turned to stare at the unknown man.

After a moment of concentration, the Psionic raised his staff and shouted, "Get away from him! He is not what he seems!" The strange man only laughed and clapped his hands, and there was a flash of light. Then you recall only blackness.

----------------

You wake up in a large open cavern dimly lit from above by a phosphorescent glow in the high ceiling, as if it were night. In the very center of the cavern there is a completed pentagram painted in deepest red, and inside the pentagram, a man bound and gagged, apparently dead. There are 21 other people in the room, beginning to stir just like you. You slowly pull yourself to your feet and move toward the corpse. A flash of memory tells you that the man's name was psighing, a trained Psionic in your group, and he's definitely dead.

You look around the room, but no more flashes of memory come to you. You see 21 strangers. You can recall what happened before, what your own abilities are, and even the general makeup of your group, but you recognize no one. Nobody else seems to recognize the others either. However, you're pretty sure that there weren't this many people in the group when you entered the cavern. Perhaps some are imposters, hoping to destroy your large and powerful group from within, when they aren't yet strong enough to kill you all outright.

You almost blurt out what you know about yourself to the group of people around you, but just in time you halt your tongue. While it might make sense to claim your powers publically to avoid being torn apart by a mob of fellow Adventurers hoping to kill a Monster, it's clear that if everyone did it, you'd be giving those Monsters a map to picking off the most powerful and the most frail of the group first. And with so many people around, the Monsters could probably still hide among you for a long time. That's just not a good idea, and anyway, your sense of personal honor makes you believe you can defeat the evil forces without resorting to such cheap tactics.

However, you have to do something. A discussion breaks out and there is rapid agreement that nobody in the group should be allowed to leave the cavern until you were sure all the Monsters were dead. And that you are all smart enough to ferret out the evil ones just by talking amongst yourselves, perhaps also using your individual powers and abilities in secret to further expose the evil lurking within the group, while aiding the group's good members. Good luck with that.

It is Night.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Dungeon (GAME THREAD)

(NOTE: There are a few changes here)

Everyone starts with 100 health points, unless otherwise noted. The starting health value is also the maximum possible health value for that player.

Voting: Every evening there is a general melee where the players try to hurt the player they think is the greatest danger to their group. Each day, players publically announce (vote) who they intend to attack. Players may not attack themselves, though they may choose not to fight at all. At nightfall, the number of attacks each player suffers is squared, and each player takes that amount of damage. Note that it's possible for nobody to die from this, or multiple people. With fewer than 15 players, damage is doubled; fewer than 10, tripled; fewer than 6, quadrupled (NOTE: Those values have changed slightly). If there are only three players, then anyone receiving one vote takes 25 damage, or two votes, 100 damage. Any deaths from this melee are revealed shortly after nightfall.

All players learn, by private message at dawn, how much damage was done to them, or healed in them, if any. This is presented as a single sum.

Randomization determines the order that all damage and healing actions take place. Any effects that don't involve a damage amount (e.g. protection) are applied first, or randomly if they conflict with each other. 0 health means you're dead, even if healing actions come in later the same night. If you're dead before making your own damage or healing action, your action is blocked. All fractions are rounded in favor of players being hurt more, if applicable.

Flavor text will not reveal the nature of any attacks or abilities used by players, unless otherwise noted. Please assume that the flavor text is just being flavorful. The dawn message will NOT give a list of all players who were subject to any damage or healing (this is a change)

Adventurer Class or Monster name is always revealed at death.

There are no secret abilities or roles.

Anyone who doesn't post at all during a game day cannot use any ability that night, and takes 20 points of damage, announced publically to inflict maximum shame. Exceptions may be made with an excuse given in advance.

The game ends when all Monsters are dead, or when the Adventurers are numerically unable to kill all the Monsters. A simple voting majority does not end the game.

-------------------

Every Adventurer is a member of one of the following Classes:

Cleric (3): Each night, can optionally heal one Adventurer (no effect on a Monster). The first time the power is used, it heals 10 points of damage. Each subsequent use heals 10 points more, until after five healing attempts there is no more healing power left (so the final heal is for 50 points). Can use the power on himself. However, one of the Clerics (and we're not sure which) has been forsaken by his god. Any healing attempt he makes will instead inflict the appropriate amount of damage to the targeted player, including Monsters.

Druid (1): Can use each of the following abilities once per game, at night, no more than one ability per night:
--* Blanket of Health: All non-Monsters gain 10 health. The use of this spell is announced publically, but does not reveal who cast it.
--* Invisibility: Take no damage from voting-melee the next day. (like most other spells, the use of this spell is not announced publically)
--* Armor of Thorns: Anyone attacking you that night takes an amount of damage equal to the damage they do to you. Does not work on Pestilence attacks or pre-existing poisons.
--* Nature's Uprising: All Monsters lose 10 health. Using this ability drains you of all power, and you can no longer use other abilities. The use of this spell is announced publically, but does not reveal who cast it.

Paladin (2): Each night, can optionally protect another player (even a Monster) from all damage taken, but he himself will take half the damage amount. He can protect himself in this way, and thus take only half damage from attacks. He may choose not to use this power, in which case he himself is protected during the next day instead, and he takes only half damage from that day's voting-melee. If two paladins protect the same person, they protect in sequence, determined randomly.

Barbarian (4): 2 start with 100 health points, and 2 start with 150 health points. Each night, can optionally choose to attack another player with his axe, dealing 0, 10 or 30 points of damage (randomly determined).

Wizard (2): Starts with 60 health points. Can use each of the following abilities once per game, at night, no more than one ability per night:
--* Lightning Bolt: Smite another player with a lightning bolt, dealing 50 points of damage.
--* Illusory Twin: Avoid all night effects aimed at you.
--* Magic Missile: Hit three players for 10 damage each.
--* Control Monster: Select a player and attempt to control them as a Monster. If they are not a Monster, nothing happens. If they are a Monster, you learn their role and they learn your role. Additionally, there is a 50% chance that the Monster will get loose when you first attempt to control him, in which case you will be viciously devoured (killing you, and revealing their nature in public).

Diviner (1): Seer. Learns the class or monster-name of one selected target per night. The diviner DOES get a Night 0 peek. (this is a change, both to the count -- only one seer -- and to the night 0 peeking)

Mystic (1): Starts with 80 health points. Learns which Monster makes each night's attack (by monster-name, not which player). Senses any spell cast by a Wizard, Cleric, Druid, or Conjurer, though not who cast it nor what the target was.

Monk (1): Starts with 80 health points. Does two attacks (on the same target) during voting-melee. Automatically avoids one attack on him (if any) during voting-melee. If undamaged during any night phase, the Monk meditates and recovers 20 health at dawn.

Thief (1): If attacked by any player at night, has a 25% chance of avoiding the attack and learning that he was targeted. Each attack is avoided separately. Additionally his sharp night senses allow him a 25% chance of learning the identity of each person who attempted to attack him, but not their role or specific damage amount. These powers apply only to abilities that deal damage, and do not apply to attacks that target more than one person at a time (pestilence, fire, magic missile).

Assassin (1): Once per game, the assassin may make an attack on another player for 100 points of damage. This attack can come during the day by sending a PM to the moderator. If the attack is made in daylight, the assassin's role is revealed publically, but the target fights back fiercely, reducing the assassin to one hit point remaining. If made at night, nothing is revealed. The attack may not be made within ten minutes of nightfall, when the players are gathering towards the evening's melee.

---------------------

Monsters:

Monsters can chat privately at night. One Monster is chosen each night to make an attack on the Adventurers. That Monster PMs his target to the moderator. The Monster who makes the attack, if he lives through the night, learns how much damage actually landed on the target. The attacking Monster is allowed to target a Monster if he wants to.

Instead of making an attack, the Monsters can choose to heal 30 points of damage on one of their own (the heal target should PM the moderator that he wishes to heal himself).

These monsters happen to be demons, but I'm not calling them that to avoid confusion with other games of that name. Future games of this type can/will use a different set of monsters.

Roles:

Abaddon "Destroyer". Has 150 health points. Hits a single target for 100 damage.

Adramelech "Flame". Burns three separate targets for 50 damage each. Must choose exactly three targets, unless there are only two players left.

Vetis "Corruptor". Hits target for either 10 or 30 damage, at random. If the target is killed by this attack, he becomes corrupted into a Lesser Demon, who has no special powers. Note that the corrupted player has the Monster victory condition and joins Monster Chat at night.

Barbas "Pestilence". Hits all non-Monsters for 10 damage each.

Conjurer (1). (NOTE: This role has changed!) Has 60 health points. A human who initially summoned these Monsters into the world. Converses with them at night, and shares their victory condition, and DOES have to be killed for the Adventurers to win. If viewed by a Diviner, appears to be a Wizard. Immune to the "Control Monster" and "Nature's Uprising" spells. Can attack normally for 50 damage. Separate from the nightly Monster attack, can use each of the following abilities once per game, at night, no more than one ability per night:
--* Lightning Bolt: Smite another player with a lightning bolt, dealing 50 points of damage.
--* Illusory Twin: Avoid all night effects aimed at you.
--* Magic Missile: Hit three players for 10 damage each.
--* Control Adventurer: Select an Adventurer to control for the night. All that player's night actions have no effect. There is a 50% chance that you learn their class. There is a 50% chance that they learn your class.

Lesser Demon. (only in the game if an Adventurer is corrupted) Has 50 health points. Hits a single target for 50 damage.

----------------

Other rules:

Day will be from roughly 10:30am until 10pm. 9:59 counts, 10:00 doesn't. Night actions are due by 9am, by private message only (not AIM).

Unvoting is allowed. Night never falls early.

Dead players may make one "I'm dead" post with no strategy information. No mass roleclaiming, and no quoting PMs.

If it turns out something is totally broken and threatens to ruin the game, I reserve the right to try to fix it.

Day 1 will begin at 10:00 am Tuesday.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:09 AM

The quartz-like stone of the cavern ceiling begins to glow brighter. You look around and see the faces of the other people with you. Some Adventurers, some Monsters.

amplify
Bravos1
chuckles
dmk
durron
graydot
GT1T
His Boy Elroy
Iron_Yuppie
Kumubou
LuckayLuck
mornelth
Nicholasp
Poker-Penguin
Pudley
soah
Stephen H
TheBram
TJ Combo
Tokyo!!
Traz
Zurvan

It is Day.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:13 AM

ugh, i don't remember anything. and i'm horrible w/ names - just great...
Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 AM

I'm gonna vote for graydot.

And now I'm going back to bed again.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:23 AM

i've got great news guys. i still have my magic 8-ball! apparently the monsters didn't search us *that* thoroughly (don't ask). i only had time to ask it about one of us last night. i should be able to get 1 read each night - i'll let you all know how it goes...

i will always ask "is <person> a monster?"

N0 - iron_yuppie - "indications are good" [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 AM

Good Guys: 1680 HP
Bad Guys: 510 HP

Bad guys can do like 30 - 200 HP damage a night, and we can heal some of that.

This should be easy as long as we don't have too much friendly fire.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 AM

*** MODERATOR NOTE ***

My apologies.. I left out a small change to the monster attacks: Barbas can also choose to hit a single person for 50 damage instead of using his Pestilence attack.

*** MODERATOR NOTE ***
Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM

IY, what say you to the magical and infallible 8-ball!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've got great news guys. i still have my magic 8-ball! apparently the monsters didn't search us *that* thoroughly (don't ask). i only had time to ask it about one of us last night. i should be able to get 1 read each night - i'll let you all know how it goes...

i will always ask "is <person> a monster?"

N0 - iron_yuppie - "indications are good" [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you claiming you peeked me?

Your info is wrong.