Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 02:57 AM

Default 1/2 NL Stars Flopped Set with 3 flush on board

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($203.25)
BB ($364.80)
UTG ($43)
UTG+1 ($141.75)
MP1 ($201.95)
Hero ($180)
CO ($175.15)
Button ($112.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $10, CO folds, Button folds.

Flop: ($30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25.

Turn: ($80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $166.25</font>, Hero ????

I have not much read on the guy.. seems like a straight player. SB raised preflop so i figured big pocket pair or AKs or AKo. How is my flop call??? and turn bet??? Will post result later
Old 10-22-2006, 03:11 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Stars Flopped Set with 3 flush on board

Call the shove.

I would also raise this flop a decent amount. I think he has something like either AK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K or something along those lines, given his PFR.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:08 AM

although it's a very minor thing i cant help but mention you probably should have raised preflop. the A on the flop looks good for you because you can bust the villain if they have a hand like AK/AQ/maybe even AJ when they're almost drawing dead, however the fact that there are 3 clubs means just flat-calling could be giving him a cheap draw at a flush. on the turn you have to call because EVEN IF he has a flush you still have 10 outs. you're getting 1.5:1 wehn you are either crushing a pair + a flush draw (ak/kk/aq with one club) or are a 4:1 dog against a flush. even out that range and you are +ev to call.
if he has a higher set oh well, you almost always go bust in set over set situations.

so IMO raise preflop, raise on the flop and yeah call the push on the turn.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:50 PM

Yeah, I called the turn, and river came another club... but he had red AK unsuited. I dont like raising preflop with small PP because i don't wanna get pushed out of the pot.. esp when SB or BB have AK, they can push me out of the pot preflop. I figured I should have raised the flop, but I wanted to get alil tricky in position in case he had AQ or AK and decide to push allin on the turn if no club falls. Is this an alternative, or just a bad smooth call on the flop?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:52 PM

there is no way to know w/out a read or a history...raise preflop lead flop and use read if called or raised
Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call the shove.

I would also raise this flop a decent amount. I think he has something like either AK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K or something along those lines, given his PFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i thought when i read it.
I dont see a fold here.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like raising preflop with small PP because i don't wanna get pushed out of the pot.. esp when SB or BB have AK, they can push me out of the pot preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Raise preflop.

RAISE THE FLOP TO PROTECT VS A LONE CLUB.

Call turn.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain? I limp here too.

[ QUOTE ]
RAISE THE FLOP TO PROTECT VS A LONE CLUB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. How much though, $75-$100 or AI?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain? I limp here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally strategy is to raise pre-flop with a pair so that when you flop a set the pot is bigger and you can make bigger post-flop bets.

I am in the minority but I don't mind limping it in this situation. At this level I feel you'll get a big pot anyway if they have anything. And if they do have AA or KK they'll raise and you can call and if you hit the set it generally works out the same anyway and you don't lose as much when you don't hit it by raising and then having them reraise. Don't get me wrong. I raise my pairs way more often than I limp, but a number of times I will limp something like 6's or 5's or lower when I'm in early position.

Edit: Oh yea.....raise the flop.