Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Problems w/ building my own pc

I just built my own pc and I've been having problems with it. When I turn on the computer, a screen that says ASUS (the motherboard company I used) comes up and it says to press Del if you want to enter set-up. So I do that and it takes me to the BIOS screen. I looked it over a bit, but didn't adjust any of the settings. After exiting the BIOS, I get a blank screen and then the message saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." So I put in the Windows XP disk and pressed enter, nothing happened. I also tried the Asus set-up disk and nothing happened with that either. I tried a couple times with the same result. Is there another disk I should be using? What should I do now?

This is the motherboard I used:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131032

If it helps I can post all the other components of the PC.
Also, I have dual DVD drives and the DVD burner is not being recognized in the BIOS screen whereas the DVD rom driver is being seen as Secondary IDE master.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Problems w/ building my own pc

[ QUOTE ]
message saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." So I put in the Windows XP disk and pressed enter

[/ QUOTE ]I worry about the boot order of your devices. Do you have the DVD drive before the harddrive?
-Sam
Old 10-21-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
message saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." So I put in the Windows XP disk and pressed enter

[/ QUOTE ]I worry about the boot order of your devices. Do you have the DVD drive before the harddrive?
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

That shouldn't be his problem bc the BIOS will follow the boot order until it finds a bootable device. Do you have an operating system installed yet? Have you booted the machine succ. yet? If you can't get it to boot up for the first time then your jumper settings are probaby off on your HD and DVD or whatever.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:39 AM

You will be able to adjust your boot sequence from 'Setup'. When the asus logo flashes, you said it says 'press del to enter setup', after you go ahead and press del do you see a bunch of data on the screen?

And yes, the Windows disc is what you'd want in there. Perhaps there is another hotkey ASUS uses, but generally it's del, F2, F12, and you'll see a boot order menu where you can then install Windows and partition your hard drive.

If you still encounter problems adjusting your boot sequence and installing your OS I'd just call the mobo manufacturer and they'll be able to tell you specifically what order of keys to press.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have an operating system installed yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't been able to install it yet. I get the disk boot message then put in the Windows XP cd and nothing happens.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you booted the machine succ. yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only gotten as far as the BIOS screen.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't get it to boot up for the first time then your jumper settings are probaby off on your HD and DVD or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

What should I be changing this to?

[ QUOTE ]
after you go ahead and press del do you see a bunch of data on the screen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the BIOS screen then. It says that I have 2GB of RAM and that my DVD drive is Secondary IDE master. I can move the cursor along the top to go to different menus like advanced, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
If you still encounter problems adjusting your boot sequence and installing your OS I'd just call the mobo manufacturer and they'll be able to tell you specifically what order of keys to press.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called asus earlier today, they said they'd have a tech guy call me back, but he never did. I tried registering on the asus forums so I could post, but I have yet to receive an e-mail to validate my account. I'm going to call asus tomm. If they can't help me, I'm not sure what I'll do then. I guess I'll have to call the geek squad and have them figure it out. Hopefully, I wont have to do that cause they're pricey.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Pull the hard drive and any other IDe drives you have out and write down the jumper settings on the back of them. Post them here to let me know what order the PC is physically botting in.

If you can't get past he BIOS screen on a new machine then jumper settings are most likely to blame. But you still should be able to enter setup and manually selecting the boot device.

Does your hard drive show up in the BIOS? If so, then you just need to adjust the jumpers. How about al of the other drives you are installing, are they all included in the installed devices list?

IM me on AIM if you want. I hate responding so many times.

redneck1210
Old 10-21-2006, 05:57 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for your help. I ended up taking it to a Computer shop. They fixed all of the problems. I did most of the stuff right, but I had the RAM in the wrong matching slots, and he did a few other things like fix the jumpers on the DVD drives to the right master / slave settings. I have the comp home now and I'm running the Windows XP install. If I run into anymore problems I'll post again.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:24 PM

Hey man that's good news, was hoping nothing was defective. Looks like it's all sorted then, let us know how it runs, that's a badass machine you've got. Wait until you play a game or something and you can see how insane that video card is.

The eVGA disc with the drivers are outdated though, so you'd want to update the latest NVIDIA drivers for the card.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:33 AM

I got the computer up and running well. I've been downloading different software, etc. I've got it connected to the internet and I'm actually posting from it now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm having one problem though. I keep getting the same error message whenever I click on a desktop shortcut to run a program. Here's the message:
"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR10"

Any ideas on how to fix it? It happens with nearly every program I run.