Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 12:41 AM

Default My wireless card frequently disconnects.

I have an Intel PROset/wireless 2200bg. And I frequently get disconected from my wireless network. Sometimes I can't seem to reconnect to my network for up to fifteen minutes, even though it is listed at full strength under the networks list when I hit "refresh." (I am also un-able to connect to any other network for that matter)

No matter what I do, even restarting my laptop, it won't work until it..eum, 'decides' to.

I have updated all the drivers on my laptop, my roomates PC/modem & the router in her room.(her room is right next to mine)

I have the adapter settings for my wireless card set to optimal/maximum.

-The preamble mode is set to "auto Tx preamble"
-The power management bar is set to maximum
-Driver version 9.0.4.17

I have a Inspiron 9300, windowsXP. Let me know anything else I forgot/info left out.

Anyone have a problem with this wireless card, and know a solution? Any ideas? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: My wireless card frequently disconnects.

I had lots of porblems with DLink wireless router.

Spent hours and hours reloading, configuring and so on.

Even took the router back and got a new one 3 times.

Company would not admit but I think that the problem ones were not manufactured properly as they allways felt hot.

The 4th one I got has worked for over a year now with no problems and never feels hot.

Not much help for you but I know what you are going through.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had lots of porblems with DLink wireless router.

Spent hours and hours reloading, configuring and so on.

Even took the router back and got a new one 3 times.

Company would not admit but I think that the problem ones were not manufactured properly as they allways felt hot.

The 4th one I got has worked for over a year now with no problems and never feels hot.

Not much help for you but I know what you are going through.

[/ QUOTE ]

What model/brand is the fourth one?

I've never taken my laptop in to have it worked on, was it expensive?

thnx for the reply.

Edit: I see now, it was the router you mentioned not the wireless card. Our router is not actually a Dlink, it is a Linksys. The router has always worked fine, the problem started when I got my new laptop, which came with the Intel PROset/wireless 2200bg card. It is a "known issue" if you look at the FAQ on the intel website, but I have tried all of their "quick fixes", and have up-to-date drivers.

Maybe someone with the same card/problem knows a solution I dont, or could recomend a new good card?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:26 PM

Bump.

Sorry, I'm just hoping someone might read this who has the same card and knows a solution.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:25 PM

ok, i used to have the same exact problem that you're having. and it happened all of a sudden after the router had been working for some time without a problem.

being a computer guru, i tried every possible thing to get it fixed but just couldn't figure it out. what it ended up being was the Linksys Router. who knows what was wrong with it, it would just drop my connection periodically. i contacted Linksys support and they said it was a known issue with my version of the router, but my warantee had run out. i bought a new Linksys wireless G router and it has been working fine ever since.

it's 90% your router. (hint: the modem/routers are most of the time not a great deal)
Old 10-23-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i used to have the same exact problem that you're having. and it happened all of a sudden after the router had been working for some time without a problem.

being a computer guru, i tried every possible thing to get it fixed but just couldn't figure it out. what it ended up being was the Linksys Router. who knows what was wrong with it, it would just drop my connection periodically. i contacted Linksys support and they said it was a known issue with my version of the router, but my warantee had run out. i bought a new Linksys wireless G router and it has been working fine ever since.

it's 90% your router. (hint: the modem/routers are most of the time not a great deal)

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the response, but

The problem isn't with my router, in-fact we also have a Linksys wireless G router.

Our router has always worked fine, the problem began when I got my new laptop. Which has a Intel PROset/wireless 2200bg card.

In-fact I looked on Intel's website under the FAQ's for my product, and it says it is a "known issue." They had some quick fixes, which did not work. And said to download the latest patch, which I did. Still didn't fix the problem

I'm awaiting a second response from Intel support.

It's not like I'm constantly getting booted, but if I do sometimes it takes a while to succesfully recconect my roomates and I's network.

I know disconects from wireless routers aren't uncommon, but my roomates laptops don't have them as often as me and their wireless cards are different models/brands. So I'm 90% it's my wireless card that came w/ my laptop.

I just don't want to buy a new one, booo.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Well, I just assumed that we had the same problem since everything you said was happening to you was also happening to me. Like I said though, my router was working fine and then all of a sudden it just started doing this, sorta soiunds like the same situtation in ur case.

If anyone you know has a wireless network just go over to their house with your laptop and see if the same thing happens. Or even go to Panara Bread or somewhere where they have free wi-fi.

This will help narrow things down.