Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Default Essential Reads for a Learning Player

Alright, i've played poker long enough that there are probably very few books that would leave me dumbfounded; at the same time, i've only recently began to take the game really seriously and really start to think like a poker player. Up to now, poker was mostly a fun thing, and while I followed some basic strategies I wasn't putting much thought into it. I would like to get a solid collection of poker books to learn from, so give me your recommendations of essential books I should read and understand.

Books I already have:

Theory of Poker
SuperSystem II
Play Like The Pros (Hellmuth's first book I think)
Caro's Book of Poker Tells

Of these books, I really only find Theory of Poker and a bit of SuperSystem II to be very helpful. Caro's is dated and not very helpful since i'm an online player, but I got it because it's so well known and didn't expect to learn a ton.

Hellmuth's book hasn't helped me much, nothing there changed the way I thought about poker at all, and I think those kind of strategies are only really going to work well for beginning players. The one positive that comes from reading this book is that I used it to get started in a lot of the non-Hold'em games, as it gave me a basic strategy to start on, but I quickly outgrew this book.

For a young player who never got a chance to read the first SS, SSII was one of the most overhyped books i've ever read. I expected something grand, and even as a pretty clueless player at the time I read it, there's only so many times he can push aggressive play before the message is pretty well drilled in. Once I understood that, I wasn't sure how much more the book had to offer.

Theory of Poker I have not completed, but it has been very helpful to me so far, and led me to these forums.

So other than these, what are some of the best books for a fairly new player who is learning quickly? I eventually want to be good at all the games, so they don't need to be exclusive to hold'em. I play online, mostly at very small microlimits, but I soon plan to start playing at around $3/$6 or $5/$10 so that's what the information should be geared towards.