Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 03:14 AM

Default How much of variance is really sub-clinical tilt?

First, I would like to thank all the present and past members of this forum for sharing their knowledge and ideas and helping me become a much better poker player as I’ve mainly lurked here over the last year. I think I played my best tourney ever in the PP 750K yesterday, finishing 27th.

Anyway, I have recently been thinking about the times I have run bad and asked myself the question,” How much of variance is really sub-clinical tilt?” Obviously we are all going take bad beats, go card dead, etc, but how much variance do we create for our- selves after a bad run by going on sub-clinical tilt thus creating a “self-fulfilled prophecy”? When I have a downswing, and carefully go back and review HH’s (or better yet have someone who knows my playing style well review them with me), I will almost always find subtle changes in my play. It seems that oftentimes these involve either “errors of omission” or “errors of aggression”. (Not to mention wandering over to the limit tables, cash games or blackjack and donking off more of your bankroll)

By “errors of omission” I mean:

Not playing certain hands or calling bets, despite appropriate odds
Limping or cold calling raises
Not listening to your reads or instincts
Not stealing blinds enough
Not standing your ground against aggressive players
Laying down hands when you know you have the best

By “errors of aggression” I mean:

Calling bets with drawing hands without appropriate odds
Not laying down hands when it looks like you’re beat (TPTK with 3 to flush/straight on board)
Moving to higher buy-ins where you may not have the experience/bankroll to play
Bluffing too much
Overplaying marginal hands or playing hands out of position
Spite calling

I’m sure there are many others. I find sometimes moving down to lower buy-ins for a few sessions, taking a few days off, and re-reading parts of Harrington (or whatever material you find useful) or reviewing the forum here can help get me back on-track. I would appreciate other's comments on changes they've noticed in your play when you have a downswing and things you do to correct them.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:17 AM

Default Re: How much of variance is really sub-clinical tilt?

a whooooole lot

i think its probably true to say that "pure" variance begets "impure" variance, or, really, suboptimal play. however, its almost such a natural extension that its fair to just put the two in the same bubble -- and it certainly makes it easier to take as a player, because you get to avoid taking blame.

good post.