Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 PM

Default lossing a weak tight attitude

when i play nl i suffer from a weak tight attitude because i dont wanna lose money ya know. every flop must have made my opp a better hand every turn gave my opp a flush or a str8 etc etc. im so easy to get off a hand. any suggestions on how to improve this kind of problem
Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 PM

Default Re: lossing a weak tight attitude

push or fold preflop
Old 10-18-2006, 11:57 PM

Move down in stakes and start experimenting with inducing bluffs. And not just when you have a set and the flush gets there. Do it with just about any pair in a medium sized pot when you think you have even just a tiny chance of being good.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:57 PM

On a serious note, if you are "afraid of losing money", you probably aren't bankrolled for your limit. Move down. If fear of getting stacked changed your game, you wont be successful. Post and reply to specific hands etc.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 AM

its just money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 AM

I had the same problem. Total weak/tight fish, 45/5/1.
I moved from 10 player full ring to 6-handed or 5-handed. It made me better at postflop HU play.
I totally stopped multi-tabling to concentrate on developing reads & think (really think) about putting the other guy on a hand.
As I said I am now way more selective preflop. Cut my VPIP to ~30% (was ~50%). short-handed that's decently tight.
I complete fewer SBs (even though the pot odds are good) because position is bad, and rarely call a PFR from SB.
I pay a LOT more attention to position. It's frequently the deciding factor in hands I choose and how I play them.
I avoid marginal situations when out of position. 87s I fold to a raise if I'm out of position.
I still limp into pots but if I'm opening, I try to open for a raise. Since my hand selection is much tighter, it's usually a hand worth raising.
I do typically CB but not all the time, and when I do I put a lot more thought / finesse into my CBs.
I'm more willing to call a PFR when in position.
I raise more often preflop. My target is >8% PFR. 87s I raise on the button instead of limping.
I re-raise preflop with more than just AA and KK. I do it to isolate the (usually psycho LAG) aggressor, and always CB when I've re-raised.
I raise limpers more often with "OK" hands when in position (QJs, etc) instead of just limping along. That, along with their response to my action postflop, helps me figure out what they have & how to play from there.
I raise my opponents CBs more often than before.
I consciously think about stealing blinds from the button or CO. Maybe 1 steal every 3-4 orbits (6 handed).
I totally don't mind laying down hands in the face of strong resistance. Especially the just "OK" hands (top-pair with QJ etc). I'm not looking to win every pot. I'm looking to win just a fraction more than my share of the small pots, and occasionally take down a monster.
I consciously think about stealing orphan pots postflop from late position.
I quit playing Ace-rag offsuit. I'll try to steal blinds with it, but don't bother calling raises with it.
I have really managed to control tilt. I don't know how. When I went on tilt it made me a calling station. ("No way, he couldn't have rivered the flush.. I call") -- but you know what, what put me on tilt originally was that same donk chasing some crap draw all the way to the river and beating my TPTK/twopair/set/etc, so it _is_ totally reasonable for him to have played the same way again. Anyways now I talk myself out of it.
I read a lot more 2+2 (and ignore most of the "pooosh" advice).
I drip pigs blood on a Bill Frist voodoo doll after getting aces cracked.
There's much more but these things have realllllly made a difference.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:59 AM

move WAY down. at least to 1/10 or even better 1/20 of your current stakes. open up a single table. raise EVERY hand preflop. do this for a few hours.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Move down in stakes and start experimenting with inducing bluffs. And not just when you have a set and the flush gets there. Do it with just about any pair in a medium sized pot when you think you have even just a tiny chance of being good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you should move down. Try to take a more aggressive approach to the game and learn what works for you. Moving down will allow you to try out all sorts of different strategies without thinking about the money.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
move WAY down. at least to 1/10 or even better 1/20 of your current stakes. open up a single table. raise EVERY hand preflop. do this for a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to try this ...

regards,

dardo
Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a serious note, if you are "afraid of losing money", you probably aren't bankrolled for your limit. Move down. If fear of getting stacked changed your game, you wont be successful. Post and reply to specific hands etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing 50 NL on a 7k roll and I was still afraid of losing money. It isnt always a function of bankroll.