Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Looking for standard opportunities to fold.

In my past few posts, I've outlined my inability to fold in certain spots. This is one of my major leaks. I'm not talking about folding when it's close. I'm often calling down or showing aggression when I am taking much the worse of it.

Button in this hand is 14/6/1.7 over about 250 hands.

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

<font color="green"> A quick check of my gametime window shows that I've seen him raise the following hands: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and AJs. He's also got a <font color="red">21</font>/<font color="red">66</font> WTSD/W$SD ratio.</font>

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1SB returned to Button.

<font color="green"> Normally, my urge here is to <font color="red">donk</font> at this pot, because he's probably folding AK or AJ, but I, as I'm beginning to do more and more since discovering that if I'm behind in a pot that I suck at poker, I decide to check and fold. Is this just a justification for me to play weakly, or am I making a good, money-saving play here?</font>

Results:
Final pot: 3.75BB

<font color="green"> Finally, too much color in my posts? </font>
Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Looking for standard opportunities to fold.

I don't like check-folding the flop here. I'm usually betting out here. I want to find out where I am and if my opponent has AK. This guy sounds pretty tight so I think JJ-AA, AK is good range. If raised you can fold b/c you don't have the Td. If you had the Td I would probably call a raise and fold the turn UI. If you bet and button calls, I would re-evulate based on the turn card. Alot of players like to peel on the flop with AK. The button has a low WTSD (which means he's not calling down to the river with nothing) so I would probably bet any diamond and any card ten or lower. If he calls again, I think you can give up at point.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 PM

i think checkraising the flop will give you a more honest response than a donk bet. then lead the turn.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think checkraising the flop will give you a more honest response than a donk bet. then lead the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

your right. Checkraising is probably a better play.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:29 PM

I think bet out the flop would be o.k. if he raise you you can fold for sure.

I disagree with c/r flop lead Turn, if he calls the flop which hand should he have? If I see that right he is a rook
he can diside to call his AA down.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:38 PM

You are wa/wb here. No reason to get crazy. You are not folding out a better hand (maybe JJ but that is about it) and you would fold out hands that are way behind you that would pay you off otherwise. You can't really protect your hand and you don't have enough equity to jam the pot so no reason to put extra money in.

Donk/folding sucks b/c lots of guys will raise you with overs or diamonds. C/R sucks b/c you put in a ton of money and don't get to see a SD that much.

C/C the flop and C/C most turns. Re-evaluate the river. Probably c/f - he will give up if he has something like AK or AJ or 88-1010.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:52 PM

except that you're only WA against a smaller pp; AK, AJ, KJ are all very possible and live here.

I'd like to put the pressure on him w/out giving the possibility of free card. Checkraise the flop, if he threebets, fold. If not, lead the turn. If he raises fold. If not, i'd check/call the river and give him the opportunity to bluff the above hands.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:43 PM

c/ring is dangerous. it opens us up to a 3bet when he's ahead and a fold when he's got anything except AK or JJ. I rather would c/c down.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:58 PM

I c/c the flop.

I c/c the turn unless an A or K falls in which case I c/f.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think bet out the flop would be o.k. if he raise you you can fold for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFL