Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Where\'s most money to be made?

I've been playing FL full ring for a while now and while I enjoy it I'm worried that it's tougher and tougher to find good games because of the new law. I noticed already that Paradise Poker has tightened up quite significantly without casual US players. I've been playing mostly 0.5/1 and 1/2.

So one of my questions is, should I move to 6-max limit? I hear a lot of the people say that the games are better, is it so? If I correctly adjust my game can I expect to find better games?

And I'm going even further, is FL as a whole less profitable than NL? Maybe if you 9-table limit you could make steady profit but I'm not there yet (I play usually four tables at once). I'd like to stick with limit and really learn it properly but would you advice me to move to NL if you think only money-wise?

I'm a bit baffled right now because online games are definately going downhill in terms of profitability. I wish I would've found poker three years ago...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Where\'s most money to be made?

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing FL full ring for a while now and while I enjoy it I'm worried that it's tougher and tougher to find good games because of the new law. I noticed already that Paradise Poker has tightened up quite significantly without casual US players. I've been playing mostly 0.5/1 and 1/2.

So one of my questions is, should I move to 6-max limit? I hear a lot of the people say that the games are better, is it so? If I correctly adjust my game can I expect to find better games?

And I'm going even further, is FL as a whole less profitable than NL? Maybe if you 9-table limit you could make steady profit but I'm not there yet (I play usually four tables at once). I'd like to stick with limit and really learn it properly but would you advice me to move to NL if you think only money-wise?

I'm a bit baffled right now because online games are definately going downhill in terms of profitability. I wish I would've found poker three years ago...

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard to tell how the whole ban story will shake out for NL.
Furthermore, you can't multitable as many tables in NL as you could playing limit, simply because the game isn't as "mechanical", you need to rely on reads a lot more often.

I have heard that if you stray from the PT/PAHUD sites, you can find really good games. You might want to try that for limit first, before deciding to move to NL.
Also, keep in mind that NL is an entirely different game from limit, even if most of the "basic rules" are the same. Don't underestimate the fact that you'll have to start from scratch.

Having said that, I've made the switch from FL to NL a few months ago, simply because I didn't want to miss the influx of new fishies into NL that follow the broadcasting of the WSOP ME. NL just looks more "sexy" to fishies than limit does at the moment.

I still believe I could have had similiar success if I had continued to play limit. But by now I'm just enjoying NL that much more. But then again, that's only a matter of preference.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:52 PM

There are players playing professionally, making cash, in pretty much every different kind of game. It's all about what you feel comfortable playing and what you're best at.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:26 AM

I'm getting a t-shirt that says "I don't do limit chicks"
because NL is that much more sexy.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM

Come on, I would like some opinions even though this could be a wrong forum for this question: is it easier to make money (= more players who don't know what they're doing) in 6-max than in full ring? And I'm still talking about limit.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:34 PM

You can make MORE money 6-max but is it easier? Depends if you are good at it. Same with NL, you can make more money in NL, IF you are good at it.

There ARE 50% Full ring games out there even up to 5/10. Just get away from PT sites.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, I would like some opinions even though this could be a wrong forum for this question: is it easier to make money (= more players who don't know what they're doing) in 6-max than in full ring? And I'm still talking about limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The laggy maniacs gravitate to 6-max because their play is closer to correct there and they tend to bust less quickly. Maniacs tend to get killed in full ring games if you hadn't noticed whereas they can run over a weak 6-max game. With so few players, it is more likely that no one has much of anything after the flop and the maniac's natural aggressiveness can win significantly more than his fair share of pots.

But the grinders have caught on to this and gravitated to these games too so you'll frequently find the game filled with better players, but the bad players will be the type that bet a lot of money. Whether this is more profitable for you really depends upon how well you adjust to the style that can beat that sort of game.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:50 PM

if you play better than your opponents, you will make more money in no limit than in limit for the simple fact that you will be betting more, and you are able to chase draw players out the pot, thats not so easy with low limit or even medium limit because the consequences is not that bad if they dont fold their garbage hands.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you play better than your opponents, you will make more money in no limit than in limit for the simple fact that you will be betting more, and you are able to chase draw players out the pot, thats not so easy with low limit or even medium limit because the consequences is not that bad if they dont fold their garbage hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common mistake. What you really mean is you can win more money because you can make their draw a bigger mistake and then you pray like hell they chase. When a player folds a hand he should fold, you lose.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The quality of the players isn't what makes six max better. It's the simple fact that you get more hand/hour in. Also, you are in position against weak players much more often.