Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Backround checks

umm anyone know what exactly is checked in a backround check? i know they go for criminal history and credit line things like that, but what about colleges? would they check my transcript?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Backround checks

You usually have to sign a release form for a background check. On that piece of paper would have been all the things they are going to check, or possibly check. You should have read that piece of paper before signing.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM

Are we talking security clearance here? Government Agency?

I don't remember ever having to attach a college transcript to any background check paperwork I ever filled out. However, they will ask you for schools, degrees, etc. in the last 10 years for most government background checks.

I would think it would be more up to the Personnel/HR department to check your transcript and it's grades. Background checks will probably just confirm you attended the school listed and that you received the degree that you reported.

Not 100% on this though.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:42 PM

i am not out of school yet.. i go to drexel university where there are internship periods spread over a five year bachelor program. i have to be an intern for the next six months.. they did mention checking academic institutions so does that mean by signing the paper they have the right to see my transcript?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Hmm, why so much concern over the transcript? Did someone lie on his resume?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 PM

background.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:55 PM

fibbed a little in the interview

[ QUOTE ]
they did mention checking academic institutions so does that mean by signing the paper they have the right to see my transcript?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think an employer can just call up your schools registrar's office and request an official transcript unless you gave them signed permission.

Actually, I think it would be more likely the employer would ask you to ask your school to send them an official transcript. That is what I remember doing for my first job.

Either way, a company would be nuts to hire an intern without seeing their official transcript. So if you lied on your resume you are probably screwed.

[ QUOTE ]
i am not out of school yet.. i go to drexel university where there are internship periods spread over a five year bachelor program. i have to be an intern for the next six months.. they did mention checking academic institutions so does that mean by signing the paper they have the right to see my transcript?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know about your school, but my university had very strict privacy policies in place about this. The registrar's office would only accept a request in person or a signed request specifically stating that you want a transcript sent to ___. In this case the background check form would be insufficient to get the company a transcript. I assume that similar policies are in place at most universities, but you should check with yours to be sure.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fibbed a little in the interview

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad did you BS your GPA?