Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 AM

Default Another overplayed AK...where do YOU get away?

I did not have a good time on this hand. The flop bet seemed like a weak probe bet, but then the reraise?

On the turn I am again lost, the bet seems scared - but so did the flop bet so I am scared to raise for fear of the reraise.

River bet, what can I beat? A raise seems in order but I can't get a solid read on his holdings and I have no idea what he can fold.

I am new to the table so I really don't have a solid read on the villian. I feel like such a donk on this hand!

I am posting all streets, please point out my errors so I do not do this again.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t54923)
Hero (t39980)
MP1 (t12760)
MP2 (t40464)
MP3 (t25818)
CO (t3860)
Button (t15280)
SB (t59630)
BB (t33490)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, Hero calls t1200, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

Flop: (t2600) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t1200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t5200</font>, Hero calls t2000.

Turn: (t13000) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t4000</font>, Hero calls t4000.

River: (t21000) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t4000</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t25000
Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Another overplayed AK...where do YOU get away?

I would have re-raised pre-flop for 2 reasons. One, to try to keep anyone else from joining the pot (which didn't turn out to be a problem in this case), and to see what his reaction would be. If he re-raises, odds are he's got big power. If he just calls, he probably doesn't have A-A or K-K, which helps me decide how to play later streets. I like your raise after the flop, but when he re-raised you, it almost assured you that he had something pretty strong, to the point to where you might think about just getting out right now. Since you stayed, I probably would have raised him after the 3rd diamond fell, representing a flush. If he came over the top again, bail.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 AM

call flop, fold turn unimproved.

the only thing worse than your reraise was you calling his raise after that.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call flop, fold turn unimproved.

the only thing worse than your reraise was you calling his raise after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's only 2000 more to call the next raise. Would he be priced in to call the raise or should math take a backseat to the fact that you're only holding ace high?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:51 AM

twoakers,
I think there are as many people who call a raise pf with AA/KK than there are who 3-bet with it. Villain just calling a raise says nothing about the likelyhood that he has AA/KK

0e0,
I think that your line is pretty bad because an ace presents a scare card that will prohibit the hero from getting paid off if he hits. The implied odds are not there to out turn the villain.

I think
call flop and raise turn (10k over his bet) <u>&gt;</u> fold flop &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; call flop, fold turn

I don't like raising the flop because it does not look as strong as a float

SUB
[ QUOTE ]
Well, it's only 2000 more to call the next raise. Would he be priced in to call the raise or should math take a backseat to the fact that you're only holding ace high?

[/ QUOTE ]
The villains 3-bet on the flop is saying that he has a set and that the hero is drawing to a runner-runner flush. No matter what falls the hero knows that he is going to see a bet on the turn and on the turn he will not have a set beat. It doesn't matter that the hero has overs. He should fold to this 3-bet.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:57 AM

Your flop and turn play in this hand is horrendous
Old 10-17-2006, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

call flop and raise turn (10k over his bet)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line.

As played maybe call the river? He might have AK/AQ.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 AM

You have almost 100XBB preflop, plenty of breathing space. That said, do not call his reraise on the flop, you are most assuredly beat. Just call his very weak flop bet and try to catch an ace. His play smells of some big pair to me, especially raising UTG as big stack, then trying to bait flop, turn and river.

As played, you can try pushing turn to represent flush, and possibly catch, unless (very possible) he has aces with the diamond. Agreed UTG is playing horribly as well, which is making you overanalyze this situation, but I think he is trying to bait (awful on this board) or maybe has A-Q of diamonds...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:29 AM

I like to keep things simple with AK. If I don't reraise before the flop, then it's because I want to stack a smaller ace on an ace high flop. Be it noted, however, that this is not a line I'd generally take with a UTG raiser who has a bigger stack because he's not raising AQ or AJ enough here to make that line profitable. So I'm personally raising AKo here most of the time.

I don't understand why you're raising the flop and raising it so small that you then feel obliged to call the mini three-bet. I'd call here.

If I'd called the flop, then I might make a really big raise on the turn.