Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Neteller\'s Director of the Board Resigns

From Neteller's investor relations page, OCT 16, 2006 :

The Company announces that Mr. Steve Lawrence resigned as a non-executive Director of the Board with effect from Fri. 13th of October 2006. The Board sincerely thanks Mr. Lawrence for his significant contribution and efforts in founding and helping to build Neteller into the world's leading independant online money transfer business, and wishes him well in the future. Mr. Lawrence continues to remain a supportive shareholder of the Company.

What a coincidence. Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Neteller\'s Director of the Board Resigns

Director is a title for anyone on a corporate board. Non executive simply means he does not work for the company. It may or may not be related. They did emphesize that he is still a shareholder.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:51 PM

He wasn't just on the board, but a co-founder and the CEO until 20002:

[ QUOTE ]
In 1999, Stephen Lawrence, the founder and major shareholder of the NETELLER Group, conceived the idea of an 'e-wallet' that could be used to fund Internet based transactions without the security risk of processing transactions at each of multiple merchants' sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

link

I'm not sure there is any reason to read into things. He wasn't active in management recently but is still a major shareholder.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:56 PM

I'm not sure what to read into this, but I do know of all the things that will be difficult for the banks to do....cutting off neteller will not be one of them.

95% sure neteller will be a goner, but someone else will step up.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Company announces that Mr. Steve I-Got-No-Balls Lawrence resigned as a non-executive Director of the Board with effect from Fri. 13th of October 2006.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I have plenty of thoughts for this p*ssy, but it would all be pure speculation.

Maybe he just happened to retire on the day the new law went into effect -- it could happen -- maybe -- if you believe in the tooth fairy.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:11 PM

He's a non-exec - it's not a big deal.

I'm guessing he's resigned because he has other business interests (perhaps similar non-exec positions) in America, and wants to be able to travel freely into the USA to attend meetings etc.

He's probably so far removed from the everyday business of Neteller that the decision was an easy one for him to make.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
95% sure neteller will be a goner, but someone else will step up.

[/ QUOTE ]
MagCFO can you elaborate on this? My understanding is that the banking regulations would go beyond what is actually required by the legislation if they blocked Neteller.

Neteller does have the problem that it has shunned the general merchant community (charging a $1000 setup fee for merchant accounts, etc.), but Neteller is smart enough that I think they will focus their efforts to expand "legitimate commerce" uses for its service before the regs are implemented.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:43 PM

Maybe he doesn't want to be a part of a company who's nearly sole business function is a violation of US law... perhaps he actually wants to enter the US someday, and doesn't want to do so knowing he could get arrested at the gate at JFK. Maybe that makes him a pu$$y... maybe not?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he doesn't want to be a part of a company who's nearly sole business function is a violation of US law... perhaps he actually wants to enter the US someday, and doesn't want to do so knowing he could get arrested at the gate at JFK. Maybe that makes him a pu$$y... maybe not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Government shill?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:58 PM

Speculating on a silver lining.

Maybe he's resigning because Neteller plans to keep taking US gambling money, and he wants to avoid legal liability.