Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 02:21 AM

Default FT: How do you guys milk villian\'s overbet?

This is final table of an $11 MTT, 5 of us left out of about 250. I have been chip leader since the start of the FT. I should have an aggressive image, but not caught on many bluffs.

My read on villian was that he overbet a bit PF when he didn't want calls (e.g., betting 20k with blinds 3k/6k). He was not a complete donk, however.

PokerRoom, hand #1,140,041,855
10+1 NL Holdem Multi Table Tournament

UTG ($65,078 in chips)
CO ($84,352 in chips)
Button ($13,333 in chips)
Hero ($163,777 in chips): A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB ($40,960 in chips)

Hero posts blind ($3,000), BB posts blind ($6,000).

PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO calls $6,000,</font> Button folds, <font color="red">Hero calls $3,000, BB checks.</font>

FLOP ($18,000)[board cards 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets $20,000, <font color="red">Hero???</font>

Push now? I know I have the deck crippled, but a spade is prolly gonna kill my action.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Re: FT: How do you guys milk villian\'s overbet?

[ QUOTE ]
Push now? I know I have the deck crippled, but a spade is prolly gonna kill my action.

[/ QUOTE ]

kill your action? he probably wont call with anything at this point since you do have the deck crippled. he has enough money behind that he'll likely shove the turn after this flop bet, in which case you can let him hang himself and not risk losing out on his last 60k . id flat call almost every time here.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:22 AM

I lead this flop for 15k and hope that someone pushes against me with their ace/8/bluff/spade draw.

If someone has an 8 you are stacking them regardless of what happens.

If someone has a little ace your check-raise or check-call-lead might scare them off as $11 MTT players won't put you on a OOP float so they will figure that there is nothing that they can beat. If you lead into them you will be showing less strength. If you lead into spades it will probably push, especially if its a 2p2er.

------------

As played call and when the turn goes check-check lead for 40k on the river but you should be leading this flop. Don't get discouraged when you see two folds, you want to be stacking people in this situation
Old 10-16-2006, 05:05 AM

This is a tough one. It's one of those situations where you tell yourself there is SOME way to get all of the chips out of him, but often there isn't. I'd say to get the maximum value here the way you have played it to this point you have to flat call it. if goes check check on the turn, instashove the river, regardless of what it comes. That is probably the way you are most likely to get his chips. I also would slow play the flop the way you did there, encouraging a shove from one of the two players. It's definately a weak players bluffing board, let them have a crack at it.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 AM

I would just call here and lead the turn for 25-30k letting Villain with only 30k for the river if he calls. After making a bet of 20k it sounds like he's not folding to a 30k turn bet

Edit: If turn is a spade I would just check it and hope he commits himself
Old 10-16-2006, 11:56 AM

This is VEEEEERY read and past-history dependent to me. I push if I think he'll call me. I min-raise if I think that might induce him to either push or call.

Here with 1 player to act behind me - I probably flat-call if I think BB may come along if he has a flush draw (if BB is slowplaying an 8 - he's nor going away no matter what I do). This is not the flop on which I'm looking to blow away ANY of my opponents out of the pot. Call and bet 15,000 or so on the turn.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:23 PM

smooooooooooooth call
Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 PM

So I am new here and didnt see this recommended yet, thought I might comment...

What about a flat call and min bet on the turn. I doubt this villain will fold for 6k on a 60k pot and his most likely action will be to shove. If he does fold it on the 6k bet, I think its safe to say you extracted maximum value from this opponent

If he just calls the 6k, then bet huge on the river to confuse him further (ok so this guy min bets on the turn and that didnt work, so now hes gonna try a huge bet)
Old 10-16-2006, 02:31 PM

I've done everything from shoving to minCR to call/check turn to lead flop here, it's entirely player dependent.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Calling is so bad here except against the absolute worst opposition. You may as well show him your 8 and hope he has one too. Just shove now and hope he puts you on a flush draw with his Ax.

Steve