Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Alright fellow libertarians time to get to work FAQ TIME

We're running short handed right now without pvn, but with borodog dropping in more often lately maybe he can fill the void. Anyways, here's some of the more often questions we need answered. FWIW Iron has said that this will likely be stickied or something to that effect.

Subjects I think should be covered since there seems to be a lot of questions on them.

1) What about roads in AC land? Who pays for them?
2) Hold up what if some sinister person buys all the land around your home? ZOMG I just proved AC invalid!
3) Can I run around killing people in AC land?
4) What if Bill Gates buys everything?
5) What about Monopolies in AC land (yes I know, lol government PREVENTING monopolies)?
6) Can parents abuse their children?
7) How will private security and private courts work?
8) Why wouldn't stateless society quickly develop a state?
9) Is somalia an example of AC society?
10) Why wouldn't people work 100 hour weeks without the government to stop those damned business owners?
11) Won't it be easier for OBL to kill us without a strong centralized military?

Off the bat I'm not going to be answering for two-fold, (1) I can't explain it near as well as the people who convinced me (that being borodog, pvn, willmagic, bcpvc(sp?), The Don, hmk, nielso, HumanACtor prolly forgetting a few, as well as those new comers such as TuneCEdeMills, Tolbiny, and definitely some others) and (2) check the avy baby almost time for a playoff game and I'm going to be heading to a friends house to watch the game.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Alright fellow libertarians time to get to work FAQ TIME

I would prefer if non-AranchoCapitalists not respond in this thread. The purpose of this is to get a jump start on future AC debates so that new posters not familiar with the theory don't ask noob questions. When linking threads, I hope the ACists will pick threads that represent a good cross section of AC theory and criticisms of that theory. For text summaries of AC positions, please briefly lay out the AC theory and main criticisms of that theory.

Posts critical of AC theory in this thread will be deleted. However, legitimate, non-leading questions about AC theory are encouraged by non-ACists.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:38 PM

This thread is terrible. Can we please not open it with a series of slanders that blatantly insult the typical, uninformed questions we get? No one says ZOMG in their "this is why I think AC won't work" posts.

The OP should explicitly state that questions from non-ACists are welcome and encouraged, provided they are respectful.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Posts critical of AC theory in this thread will be deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know Iron, If they're just asking questions they want an answer to I don't see why they can't post it. Also, I welcome noob posts, that's what a FAQ is for.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:18 PM

Shake,

I for one would like to see some of the fundamental philosophical issues addressed in the FAQ. For instance, what is the source of property rights in AC theory? Do ACers consider property rights to be inherent/natural or is there some other source?

I think that most AC positions are logical if one accepts the premises behind AC theory. I'm saying this not to hijack the thread into a discussion of AC theory, but to point out why I think explaining the premises of AC theory is important.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:22 PM

IMO questions/idea's that center around things like:
The war on drugs
Social service/welfare programs
victimless crimes

should be addressed. I also think the answers should include/emphasize that libs/ac's are not 'for drugs' and someone can be against drugs and still be a lib/ac'er as they just don't want government involved and why.

one can be for aiding the poor,etc but that they don't want the govt involved and why. that there is tons of volunteerism and charity dontations currently with such a high tax rate so it is believed it will continue, why non govt places can do this better, etc

I think a lot depends on what the 'goal(s)' are. If it is to reduce legwork on responding to questions/complaints then a lot of specific's listed in the op might be great, but if it is mostly to introduce people to the idea of reducing and then eliminating govt i think that a lot of people will read 'private individuals own roads' and just turn their minds off deciding 'whacko' so you loose a potential customer.

What initially turned me onto libertarianism were arguments around why the drug war was bad/a waste, why govt is inefficient and feeds on itself and why reducing govt would benefit me and others.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 PM

Dude what''s been with you lately? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

edit- OK so they don't say "ZOMG". I think this forum really needs to lighten up some though. If I offended anyone with that statement my deepest heartfelt apoligizes? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 PM

I don't think I speak for all the ACist here but I don't think property rights are natural, it's just the best way to solve the problem of a large (well any) population and how it uses a limited amount of resources. As borodog said once, if everyone owned everything he'd have to get permission from 6 billion people before he could use eggs and bacon to make some breakfest.

And i agree that the premise of AC is a big big thing. It's a lot easier to be an anarchocapitalist when you consider taxes theft.

What does the rest of the AC click think?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:50 PM

I mean no disrespect, but a FAQ should be a little more non-ACist friendly. Remember, this thread is designed specifically for the people that wander onto this thread, see "AC," read a thread or two about it, and then have questions. I think the FAQ should state simply that this is a thread for answering their questions and explain the rules to the questioners, rather than the rules for the answerers.

Keep in mind, most non-ACists do think that their questions are reasonable, and don't want to be insulted with a thread that makes it sound like their questions are asinine.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 AM

How about:

0) What is anarchocapitalism?