Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:35 PM

Default The Anarchocapitalism FAQ: Where is it?

I see 40 threads on the front page of politics. About a third touch on ACism, libertarianism or statism.

In these threads, there are a lot of questions about how AC is supposed to work, followed by a lot of moaning by ACers about answering the same questions repeatedly, followed by accusations that the ACers never did answer them, followed by more posts of gleeful condescension to whatever side you disagree with. And someone will chime in with "AC FAQ - we need one".

Whether you consider AC to be the gold standard of possible eventualities (borodog), or a canvas on which internet males can paint their fanciful pipe dreams while resenting the rest of the world for not conforming to the minority will (me), I think we can all admit that an AC FAQ is a good idea.

So where is it?

Are ACers insufficiently incentivized to produce a FAQ:
- Because it's tedious to put together?
- Because you don't think it would actually accomplish anything for this forum?
- Because there's no money in it?
- Because it's hard to come up with a concensus AC position?
- Because it would take away opportunities to aim withering condescension at people who haven't read up on your favorite economists' positions on never-never-land?

I'm honestly wondering, as you can see by the fact that 3 of those listed possibilities aren't insulting.

I don't see the communists in here complaining that we're not sufficiently versed in Marx, and last I checked, the communists and the libertarians are running neck and neck at the national polls. Your obscure beliefs aren't explaining themselves, guys.

So, any reason you guys can't take a portion of the time you spend making quality posts in politics threads, and maybe produce something that you're answerable for that would facilitate discussion of your favorite topic? Cause links to offsite FAQs and so on are not going to fix this.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Re: The Anarchocapitalism FAQ: Where is it?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the communists in here complaining that we're not sufficiently versed in Marx, and last I checked, the communists and the libertarians are running neck and neck at the national polls. Your obscure beliefs aren't explaining themselves, guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I agree. I think there are far more communists in the US than ACers. I have met communists, but I don't think I have ever met an ACer.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I agree. I think there are far more communists in the US than ACers. I have met communists, but I don't think I have ever met an ACer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means tied at less than the margin of error.

Bison,

My first thought was that an anarchist FAQ would be a public good, whose benefits would spread to everyone, not just the creator. Therefore, I thought, there might be free-rider type problems that would make it hard to get the thing written.

Then I realized that I need to take econ 101, that I don't understand supply and demand, that public goods can't logically exist, and that underproduction of FAQs can only exist through coercively-funded moderator intervention.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:22 PM

Here's your FAQ!

btw, don't you work for google, bison?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM

I have suggested this idea in two recent threads. I'm not entirely sure what the best way to do it is, because any thread that starts answering a series of questions is just going to devolve into long-winded argument. A linkable wiki would probably be a good idea if the ACists here (or non-ACists for that matter) are willing to dig up the answers so they can be inserted.

However, it's very tedious and unprofitable, so forgive us if we're not making this a major priority.

EDIT: It's also pointless because, as BCPVP pointed out, anyone can just search mises.org if they actually want to learn the answer to a question.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: It's also pointless because, as BCPVP pointed out, anyone can just search mises.org if they actually want to learn the answer to a question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the freedomainradio archive:

http://freedomainradio.com/Listen_In_1.htm
http://freedomainradio.com/Listen_In_2.htm
Old 10-15-2006, 06:46 PM

If anyone is serious about this, I would be happy to moderate a well-marked thread so that only established AC posters could comment. Then pending Vulture's approval link the thread in the sticky.

I'm thinking that this thread should be in two parts:

Q: AC is retarded for X, Y and Z
A: No, its not because of A, B, and C

2. A set of links to AC threads. ShakeZula took a swing at this in the Modding Suggestions thread, but whoever does this should carefully review these threads so that a range of AC criticisms and defenses are covered. The link should make clear which AC argments take place in each thread so a user can look them up.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:56 PM

Idea #1 is pretty good actually. I guess it's implied that the ACists are not allowed to make blatantly insulting/sarcastic comments (although I will point out that some sarcastic comments are very useful for pointing out a fallacy presented in the question, and should be allowed as long as they're either not insulting, or accompanied by a brief explanation)

And we shouldn't be allowed to cheerlead/high five each other.

Also, questions should be abbreviated in the subject line.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone is serious about this, I would be happy to moderate a well-marked thread so that only established AC posters could comment. Then pending Vulture's approval link the thread in the sticky.

2. A set of links to AC threads. ShakeZula took a swing at this in the Modding Suggestions thread, but whoever does this should carefully review these threads so that a range of AC criticisms and defenses are covered. The link should make clear which AC argments take place in each thread so a user can look them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good idea. Then maybe we can stop having almost every thread in the politics forum dominated by AC nonsense. Maybe all the ACers in the country could get together and hold a meeting. I am sure there are a few phone booths you could rent out...don't think you would need a much bigger room.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good idea. Then maybe we can stop having almost every thread in the politics forum dominated by AC nonsense. Maybe all the ACers in the country could get together and hold a meeting. I am sure there are a few phone booths you could rent out...don't think you would need a much bigger room.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's an anarchocapitalister?
Iron, I like it the idea.
Closed Thread