Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Default I can\'t play online poker anymore

There is no word that can describe my feelings and beliefs regarding the ban on online gaming (specifically poker). For the last three years I have looked forward to playing several hours of online poker everynight after work. It kept me on an even keel, it was the perfect diversion. My wife jokingly would remind me that playing poker was my avocation rather than my vocation. She's right. I make about $500,000 a year with my actual job. Now, with the current legislation I have reservations. I am by no means a lawyer or have any inside information regarding the new laws. I am aware that the average poker player will not be affected and the law is aimed at the poker sites and the financial instituions. If I were just a losing player it probably would not matter; however, I occasionally will withdraw nice checks from Neteller. My bank has never questioned these deposits (atleast as far as I know). Of couse I have always paid my taxes etc. My accountant asks "Why do you play poker?". I say because I love the game. Unfortunately now I have enough concern to stop. I have too much to lose. I personally do not want to be the government example of what can happen if you play poker online. I can see some IRS agent talking to some other government agent regarding my winnings/losings online (because I pay my taxes) and he says "well I'll bust his ass". Well, maybe I'm paranoid; but, I do not think it's out of the realm of possibilities. If I were a professional poker player I would be playing right now. I hope that our congress and elected officials will recognize that most poker players are average people that want to play a little poker. Poker online is a simple liberty that I enjoyed living in the U.S. that has been taken away.
I have always voted republican; however, I will vote democrat this year. If Heath Shuler, the democrat opponent to the incumbent Charles Taylor wins by one vote; it will be my vote that did it. Hopefully he will unite with the other democrats to carve out some form of online gaming bill that we can have.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Re: I can\'t play online poker anymore

ur too paranoid. no way the gov't comes after you. As a native north carolinian myself, I am rooting for Heath. I am also a life-long repub now going democrat. GL 2 u. I have to be honest, even if i knew there were a huge risk I'd still take it because my love of this game is so great.

Indy
Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 PM

paranoia, bees hummin' in ya ear
Old 10-14-2006, 10:59 PM

Another useless post hoorayyy
Old 10-14-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another useless post hoorayyy

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry,not trying to be harsh lol,i feel ya bro [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, maybe I'm paranoid; but, I do not think it's out of the realm of possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you try to walk through a wall, its not out of the realm of possiblilities that one day you'll actually make it happen. Although you might have to do it more times then even the Universe might allow. It's still a mathmatical possibility that it will and can happen.

For someone who makes $500K, you sure are a chicken. Most people I know who makes $500K + are hard core risk takers, pushing the law to the max if not exceeding it everyday.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:07 PM

okay.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:11 PM

Ever considered using a helmet when driving car? If you aim to eliminate all the smallest risks in your life, you should already use the helmet. There must be web pages somewhere with great ideas for small risks elimination. Or books.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:11 PM

yea dude seriously , posts about the online poker world coming to an end, is so last week ...
Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 PM

not sure what the 500 grand has to do with anything, thanks for letting us know, moron...

lesson for all readers - morons can make lots of money (or they can really lie to try and seem important)... hahahhaha
Closed Thread