Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Why I worry about fish finding their way to Stars/FTP/etc.

Conversation with my father, a casual player (read: donator) at the low limits at Party (up until yesterday, at least)...

Dad: So, no more poker for us, huh? Can you believe it?

Me: No, I'm still playing. PokerStars and a couple of other sites are sticking around.

Dad: I don't think so...didn't you get the e-mail from Party? I think they're all closing down.

Me: No, really. Stars made an official announcement that they're staying open to Americans. And that was like the 2nd biggest site anyway.

Dad: What's the name of the site?

Me: PokerStars. You've heard of it, right? They have those commercials with Greg Raymer, Chris Moneymaker, blah blah? [He watches WSOP so I know he knows who these people are]

Dad: Hmm...don't think I've seen them...maybe I'll check it out. [Goes to get a pencil] What's it called again?

My father is in his 70s, but is fairly computer literate and probably as "with it" as the typical online fish, and he basically couldn't name a poker site other than Party. Anyone else think this might be bad news for the big "migration" of fish we were hoping for?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Why I worry about fish finding their way to Stars/FTP/etc.

I dispute your conclusions based on sample size.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-14-2006, 01:49 PM

Well, his sample showed 100% of the fish finding it's way to Stars. That's good isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2006, 01:53 PM

"Well, his sample showed 100% of the fish finding it's way to Stars. That's good isn't it?"

You are so cute.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:53 PM

You guys are crazy. Fish suck at poker but often enjoy playing poker, being human beings possessing some form of functioning brain, will often find a way to adapt and reconcile problems, thus leading them to continue to play poker despite certain drooler tendancies.

It's also really horrible in the context in which we mention fish. It's so very predatory and evil. If you're a top player you're always going to find a way to make money in this game, don't be [censored] to other people and try to bankrupt other people for the sake of your own greed. Money will come naturally to those who view life in a right way.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Easy dude, we're just joking around and fish is usually meant in a friendly way. No disrespect meant and is only a handy diminutive to "poker playing person that plays worst than myself" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are crazy. Fish suck at poker but often enjoy playing poker, being human beings possessing some form of functioning brain, will often find a way to adapt and reconcile problems, thus leading them to continue to play poker despite certain drooler tendancies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. There seems to be somekind of perception that anyone who is a losing player at online poker must be somekind of drooling sub-human who can't put their shoes on by themselves.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:51 PM

pokerstars already has plenty of fish , (i think they had like 1k less (cash game) players than party a week ago)
Old 10-14-2006, 02:02 PM

I tried to mention where else you could play on my last couple days on party, but I wasn't able to play too much.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:04 PM

You need to spread this word to STTF. They [censored] their heads like confused dogs when you suggest the fish migration from PP to PS might be anything less than instantaneous and all-encompassing.

Then again SNGs are so simple a downie chimp can learn to crush them in 20 minutes, yes simultaneously beatable at all levels anytime of day forever in perpetuity. So I guess who cares if the PP fish find their way over or not?