Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Pokerstars laying kind of low

So after all the anticipation on 2+2 they finally released their statement on Thursday here:

http://www.pokerstars.com/legislation/uigea/

Excited we all were that Stars was indeed sticking atound.
but there really wasn't that much to the statement.

I can't even figure out how to get to this announcement from their home-page. I only have that link to it that ZBT provided in the previous thread about this.
But I don't think it's under the 'news' or 'VIP club' or 'home' tabs.

I'm just not sure how any casual PokerStars webpage surfers actually find that announcement. Thus, I'm also not sure how the casual players know that Stats is NOT taking the same position as Party.

Also - no e-mail from Stars about this. Nothing on their little 'news' pop-up about it. nothing in the lobby.

why isn't this the biggest thing that they are promoting??
They should be saying, "We're here to stay and we don't plan on going anywhere!!" and they shouldn't be bashful about letting ALL their customers know about it.

Some people here have already observed that Stars apparently hasn't received the huge boost in former Party players that one might have expected.

Well, part of the reason is that the casual players, even those WITH Stars accounts already, may very well not know that Stars has announced they are staying.

They made this announcement almost as inconspicuous as possible as best I can tell and I think that's kind of weird.

Not that I'm qualified to run a big poker website or anything, but it seems to me it makes far more sense to send out a mass e-mail to all your customers that Stars intends to continue to serve U.S. customers, to put it on the 'news' pop-up and to put it in really big letters in the lobby and on the home-page of their web-site.

Maybe they think the timing of such a big announcement might be better if they wait until Monday after more of the Party players learn more officially that they can't play there anymore.

I would still disagree with that strategy too, but at least it would be better than doing almost nothing to promote their position which is what appears to me to be all they have been doing so far.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars laying kind of low

Bob,
They are keeping a low profile because they are taking a huge risk staying in the US market. I think a lawyer can give a better answer. The way it strikes me is that keeping the site open to the US is one thing. Showing the middle finger and agressively pursuing expansion seems like another matter altogether.

My 2 cents.

By the way, I have been following your posts for the past year. You have always been 'on the money' in my opinion.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:30 PM

If you think a little about it, should they be announcing: "We have decided to be greedy and NOT obey US laws?

2+2ers and other poker addicts might be extatic about their decision but is it really necessary to let people that have no idea about all this and are not affected by the new law know about it?

I'm sure stars management wishes all this could just disappear under the carpet and they could be back at being No. 2 again, within the law...
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 PM

They have flopped the underfull and are quietly coldcalling while two other guys with trips are in a raising war for all to see.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 PM

UB, FullTilt and Absolute are doing all they can to get as much new business as they can. They're in the same position legally as Stars.

I'm very curious as well.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:56 PM

It is up to each individual/company/owner/whatever to decide if they want to take a risk/never put foot in the US again/whatever it takes. As in real life, different people, different choices.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UB, FullTilt and Absolute are doing all they can to get as much new business as they can. They're in the same position legally as Stars.

I'm very curious as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. People are saying stars is "scared" but come on, they're now the biggest online pokerroom in the world, and they still allow americans.

I don't see how being a little "hush hush" about it is going to "save" them at all. They need to either say no to americans, or actively persue it. If they allow americans, and the DOJ decides that they will in fact go after pokerrooms, I gurantee you that the biggest site in the world, isn't going to be one they "miss" in their attacks.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think a little about it, should they be announcing: "We have decided to be greedy and NOT obey US laws?

2+2ers and other poker addicts might be extatic about their decision but is it really necessary to let people that have no idea about all this and are not affected by the new law know about it?

I'm sure stars management wishes all this could just disappear under the carpet and they could be back at being No. 2 again, within the law...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is more or less correct. Are they technically unlawful to accept Neteller? Obviously credit cards would be bad. I'm really pro stars.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 PM

At my tables last night, a bunch of different people were saying Stars was closing down in a few days.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my tables last night, a bunch of different people were saying Stars was closing down in a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better hurry and cash out then...