Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 04:27 PM

Default CallMeSpammer... OOT legal advice needed

Obviously Im not going to take legal advice I get on OOT as gospel, but I'm curious about this situation and figure this is a good place to start

Little background:

- My school doesnt have a campus wide e-mail list that anyone outside of the administration can use.

- Im on class council, and we have an e-mail list that goes to everyone in our class (ie. just class of 2007)

- In an effort to not bog down people with e-mails, we don't use it very often

- We get contacted ALL THE TIME by student groups who want to advertise to our class using out listserv, and we essentially always say no since, as I said, we dont want to use it very often

Lets say Ive come up with a way to get a very large chunk of the schools e-mail addresses into a database (entire school, not just our class). Am I within my legal rights to contact student groups and offer near campuswide emails for a fee? (Im obviously only going to provide the service and not the list itself)

Obviously there might be some within school rules that Im breaking, which no one here can know... but, am I breaking any federal laws with this?

(I've been reading into the CAN-SPAM act of 2003, and it appears that Im not, but Im sure someone here knows better than me)

PS: another obvious concern is getting software that can send out these emails... but Im imagining that has to exist somewhere)

EDIT: just to note, Im getting the e-mails from a site where people have voluntarily posted them
Old 10-13-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: CallMeSpammer... OOT legal advice needed

Bill Frist is turning the American youth into degenerate spammers.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Frist is turning the Canadian youth into degenerate spammers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 PM

CMI wtf is wrong with you being a big blubbering vagina. first failing at the ice cream commando [censored], now this.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first failing at the ice cream commando [censored],

[/ QUOTE ]

THE GUY JUST ATE MY SEMEN (or, at least its gone)

HOW IS THAT FAILING??????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
Old 10-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Why are you concerned with the CAN-SPAM act, when you live within Canada and are spamming Canadians' e-mail addresses? For the CAN-SPAM act to be applicable, either the sender or the recipient must be U.S. based.

p.s. From a moral standpoint, you are a stupid bitch and should be kicked from class council.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you concerned with the CAN-SPAM act, when you live within Canada and are spamming Canadians' e-mail addresses? For the CAN-SPAM act to be applicable, either the sender or the recipient must be U.S. based.

[/ QUOTE ]

school is in US, my bad
Old 10-13-2006, 05:23 PM

You are fine as long as you: (a) Don't modify any e-mail header information; (b) Give a working opt-out method; (c) use a non-deceptive subject line; (d) clearly state that the e-mail is an advertisement and provide your real postal address within the e-mail; (e) use an e-mail account that is linked to your true identity; (f) avoid using open-relays; and (g) send messages only from computers you're authorized to use.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. From a moral standpoint, you are a stupid bitch and should be kicked from class council.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was sure some people would feel that way.

However, I bet most, if not all, would be willing to do the same thing if the price were right. I think it just happens my price is lower than yours.

Also, me being involved with council isnt really related. The only reason I mentioned it, is because it allowed me to illustrate that there is a high demand for it.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I bet most, if not all, would be willing to do the same thing if the price were right. I think it just happens my price is lower than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, okay, what's your point? Just because I might be willing to do something doesn't mean it's moral.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, me being involved with council isnt really related. The only reason I mentioned it, is because it allowed me to illustrate that there is a high demand for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a quick read it looked like you were using information from the class council's mailing list to gather the addresses. If that's not the case--i.e., if you're not actually violating the trust placed in you to access the mailing list without using it for your own commercial benefit--then I think it's moral. A dick move, but moral.