Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Best book on Limit Hold\'em playing

Whats the best book by far on Limit Hold'em playing?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Best book on Limit Hold\'em playing

it depends [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 03:39 PM

Location: 9 to 5ing it the hard way.. but I am out of the house and meeting people.

i like small stakes holdem but the recommended starting hands are a bit loose for my liking
Old 10-13-2006, 04:00 PM

All of them have their merits and shortcomings, some more of one, some more of the other. But if I had to pick one, and only one, book that everyone should read, it would be The Theory of Poker by Sklansky. With a good grasp of the subject matter therein, you can win at limit hold'em (or any other discipline of poker).
Old 10-13-2006, 05:04 PM

When I first starting studying poker, I read HPFAP. It was way over my head. I found that Middle Limit Holdem (Jim Brier / Bob Ciaffone), while quite tight, held good advice for a new player. I then read Small Stakes Holdem, which really changed my way of thinking about the game. It's all about pushing edges in large pots. I loosened up considerably after I finished it and tried to apply the knowledge to small stakes games online.

This past week, I picked up HPFAP again and it's making a ton of sense. Combined with analyzing real hands, the reading I'm doing now is helping my understanding of the game tremendously. I just ordered Theory of Poker, and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Yea, "Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced players" really makes more sense after playing a few thousand hands. I really think "Small Stakes hold Em" is the best "first" read on the subject, and worthy of being re-read several times are you progress.

And because of the complexity and subtleties involved, I recommend the following reading schedule:

Read: "Small Stakes hold Em"

Play 3K to 6K hands

Read: "Theory of Poker"

Play 3K to 6K hands

Re-read: "Small Stakes hold Em"

Play 3K to 6K hands

Read another poker book *not* by Sklansky. Caro's book of tells perhaps, or Super System, or Helmuth's "like the Pros", possibly Lee Jones' book, or if considering NL, the Little Green Book or Harrington on Hold'em.

Play 3K to 6K hands

Read "Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players."

Then every 10K hands or so, re-read one of these.

If moving to NL, Sklansky's new NLHETAP is excellent.

AB
Old 10-17-2006, 02:42 AM

At 30 to 35 hands per hour, it would take me 100 hours to make your first level. I'd be dead before I got to your last recommendation.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At 30 to 35 hands per hour, it would take me 100 hours to make your first level. I'd be dead before I got to your last recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because you're playing live? I strongly believe that 1 live hand is worth 4 or 5 online hands when it comes to experience. At least it is for me. Live, I'm paying attention to the other people, paying attention to hands I'm no longer in, really focused on my game. When playing online I have 2-4 tables open, tv on, sometimes internet checkers (I wish I could play that for money), etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 AM

Small Stakes Hold'em
The Theory of Poker

Both of these books have helped me immensely. I am still reading The Theory of Poker. I have read and re-read SSH. I will continue to pick up both books every single day. Read, read, read, and then read some more.

I have also read Phil Hellmuth's Hold'em. This book has the exact same information he has in 'Play Poker Like the Pros,' but it's just hold'em and no other games. If you're into playing NL I would also suggest reading Phil Gordan's 'Little Green Book.' He also has 'Little Blue Book' out now. It's focused on some of the same subjects within LGB, but goes more in depth I guess. (Haven't read it yet.)

And... if you want a good read that is both entertaining AND educational, then I strongly recommend Andy Bellin's 'Poker Nation.' It has been one of the best books I have ever read. I suggest this book to everyone!

Hope this helps!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 AM

I would really read the theory of poker before SSHE, but thats just me. Also pig: after a while you will learn to multitable. You will be able to play at least 100 hands an hour (and many more when you get good). I've played 3000+ hands in a day before.