Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 PM

Default I messed up a missed AKs

This is one of those hands where I said, "Oh man, I messed up" in the middle of the hand. Then I tried to make the best decision from that point.

Villain is 48/10/1.4 after 80.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5SB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3.5BB, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

This is where I think I messed up. With such a draw heavy board, I need to be betting this. I'd much rather fold to a check-raise than give a free card to a draw. Right?

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero ...

Now I say, "Oh crap." There's the BDF, and any hand with a 7, 8, 9, T, or J beats me. The pot is small. Can I really justify a call now? I mean, I reallllllly want to, but...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Re: I messed up a missed AKs

No you can't. Duh.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:26 PM

The turn check is okay and probably did not cost you the pot. It's hard to know who's drawing, and getting checkraised would kind of suck, with your overs + gutshot. And, to be results-oriented for a moment, if Villain had an 8 or 9, he probably had some other reason not to fold on the turn in addition to the gutshot (if he even needed another reason).

The main way the turn check might have cost you the pot is that you induced a bluff and then ended up folding the river on that bad card. So you could've gotten bluffed out by KQ or AQ or Ad3d. But -- I don't know -- although Villain is a LAG, the pot's kinda small and you probably aren't winning here often enough.

I agree with you that it's tempting to call.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 PM

The more I think about it, the more I feel like there are a lot of hands that the villain would peel the flop with that I still beat on the river. I also think that there is a good chance that he would have led or check-raised the flop if he had a T (although, if he did, it likely wasn't strong enough -- and he's not aggressive enough -- to check-raise the turn).

Getting 3:1, I think that the river fold (I guess it was obvious enough that I folded it) would have been good, I think... but getting 5.5:1, I think I should have made the call.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With such a draw heavy board, I need to be betting this. I'd much rather fold to a check-raise than give a free card to a draw. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. You have Ace high with 2 OC's and a straight draw.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 AM

grunch

calling this river would suck ... the entire middle of the deck in on the board ... easily has something here - and if he doesn't an you got pushed off by AT or J6, the pot is small and not worth your trouble

I mostly think I bet fold the turn ...
Old 10-13-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With such a draw heavy board, I need to be betting this. I'd much rather fold to a check-raise than give a free card to a draw. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. You have Ace high with 2 OC's and a straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. I do want that free card, and I don't want to be paying two big bets for it (if he check-raises). I think that perhaps I did play it right, after all, while keeping in mind that often I need to call that river UI when the entire middle of the deck doesn't make a better hand than me.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:33 AM

Playing AK HU, in position, against the BB, is pretty easy when they take the check-call line on the flop.

Basically, you're betting most turns, and folding to checkraises from passive or straightforward players.

I would call donked rivers if draws fail to materialize, otherwise, I would check behind all rivers where I miss.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:56 PM

I would play this hand exactly the same fwiw.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:50 PM

The times you protect your hand against a draw is when you have a hand. In this hand you're the one who is likely drawing, not your opponent.