Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 08:38 PM

Default % of Players that are winners here

What do you guys think about this, Hear me out now.

My dad and myself were arguging about whether or not the players here are winning players.

Please post up the % of players you think who post here are winning players, Please also include Proof if you are a winning player.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: % of Players that are winners here

75% of regular posters.

Proof:
The premise p^2 = 2q^2 tells us that p is even. Assuming p and q mutually prime, q is bound to be odd. However, the square of an even number is divisible by 4, which leads us to conclude that q is even. A contradiction.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:13 PM

<40%

Proof:
Consider two even integers x and y. Since they are even, they can be written as x = 2a and y = 2b respectively for smaller integers a and b. Then the sum x + y = 2a + 2b = 2(a + b). From this it is clear that 2 is a factor of x + y, so the sum of two even integers is always even.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:01 PM

1100000000000000000000000000% WE ARE THE BEST TWOPLUSTWO PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE
Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 PM

No one really knows for sure except for the main man Sklansky himself. I read a post awhile back that he gets the stats on every poster here. I don't think he gave the exact % but maybe if you PM him he might talk about it. Worth a shot. Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 PM

I'm not a winning player... I would guess less than 20% are true winning players
Old 10-12-2006, 10:33 PM

zele and deacsoft, I have a corallary to your proofs:

they have nothing to do with % of winning players, QED.
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Probably most of the people who lurk (or perhaps post very occasionally) and skim are not winning players. To benefit from a forum like this, you need to be a thinking, contributing part of it, not just an outsider looking in. I'd love to know how many lurkers there are here, and what percentage of the registered users make less than one post a week.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 AM

I was gonna tell a joke, but here's my serious guess. Probably not many players are winning players overall. Obviously there have to be many more losing players to support the few winning players.

I think here are more winning players who regularly read and post here than your average player, for the simple fact that those who do are actively trying to improve their game and learn, but even here, i would guess only about 20 to 25 percent registered members here are winning players.

Is your dad telling you not many people win at poker? Because he is right, if he is. But, you can tell him there definitely are consistent winners at poker who also regularly post here. I'm talking about folks who will make somewhere from $100,000 to $1 mill or so a year from poker. And they post here. Check out the high stakes forums.

There are also some winning players who make much less than that, there is a broad range.

As far as proof, all i can say is i've looked into it myself, researched a few of the posters here in the high stakes forums, seen them play on big stakes tables, and can tell you it's true.

But, there are many more people here who say they are break-even or winning players, who just are not. They are deluding themselves. I used to delude myself when i started out, telling myself and others that i was a winning player, when in reality i was a bit on the losing side. (Then i went to break-even, and now consider myself a winning small-stakes player working on building my roll, but even then i am being careful and want to see a bigger sample size before i say that for sure. Ask me again in a year, hopefully i will be playing higher stakes by then.)

Anyway, hope that helps.

What is your dad's position, anyway?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please also include Proof if you are a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we'll get right on that...

b