Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Fired for the first time and dealing with it.

Alright, here's the backstory. I'm a grad student and I had a job doing insurance work which is not related to my field at all, but the pay was decent and they worked well around my school hours (my intended career-field in the future is Criminal Justice).
The reason for getting fired was for being excessively late twice in a short period of time. The first time I forgot that I had set my alarm for 7pm the day before as I took a nap and overslept and was 3 hours late. At this point had a discussion with my boss about how being three hours late is unacceptable and that I wouldn't let it happen again.

After the first time, I had always set my regular alarm and then set the one on my phone as a backup.

Well I end up going out with some of my buddies to celebrate one of their birthdays and it ends up being a late night. The next morning I wake up at 9:15 and I was supposed to be at work at 8. I didn't set my regular alarm and my phone died in the middle of the night. I immediately call my boss and tell him "sorry that I'm late, but I just got up, I'll be in there as soon as possible." So I get to the office, get to my cubicle and start doing my regular routine and my boss comes over and says "we need to talk." We have a little discussion about how this is unacceptable and that I should just go home and that I can pick up my check on Friday.

So this sucks, I've never been fired before and don't really know what the best ideas are in regards to handling it. I know that in the future for law-enforcement related careers I'll have to put down every place that I have ever worked and these are looked into heavily, so I know I'll have to put it on those applications and whatnot, but what about upcoming "jobs" while I'm still in grad-school? Should I put that I worked at that place? It would look odd to have a 6 month span of unemployment if I weren't to list it.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Fired for the first time and dealing with it.

Um, get a job that doesn't have you starting before noon?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:00 PM

hahaha you're gonna be a cop? i hope you're on duty when i start robbing and killing people
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hahaha you're gonna be a cop? i hope you're on duty when i start robbing and killing people

[/ QUOTE ]

becoming a cop is hard work....it takes one solid weekend of training to get that badge.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 PM

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories (provided they don't oversleep and miss work seriously wtf).

-Al
Old 10-11-2006, 02:06 PM

Standard operating procedure the second time you fukup,- make up a lie about having major car trouble and/or projectile vommiting/diahrea and you are going to the ER.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

becoming a cop is hard work....it takes one solid weekend of training to get that badge.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha is that for the Barney Fife school of Police?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Did you even read the post? Where in there did you see him asking for advice on what kind of job to get?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 PM

I'd recommend learning discipline, and time management.

You might not be looking for advice however.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard operating procedure the second time you fukup,- make up a lie about having major car trouble and/or projectile vommiting/diahrea and you are going to the ER.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would work great, if I had not already been fired. haha.

Yes, I know that this incident shows a complete lack of responsibility, and that is why it bothers me so much. Overall this situation is out of character. My main concern is about how much this could screw me in the long run.