Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 AM

Default AK gone wrong

Table is mixed 5-10 at MCC. Some unknowns. Getting more aggressive as table has just fulled up or 9 people.

1) Two unknown players limp. I raise A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Four players call my raise. The limpers call. The flop is:
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The limpers check. I bet. Two players call, one player raises, one of the limpers call, I re-raise. call, call, raiser caps it, call, call. 5 players to the turn. The turn is a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. We all check to the raiser who bets, 1 call, 1 fold, I call, two folds. River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check, I check, raiser bets, call, I call.

Results: <font color="white"> Raiser shows AhQh </font>

2) Loose but good player raises UTG. One player calls. I reraise with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Bad player behind me caps it. UTG calls, other player calls. Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG checks. Caller checks. I bet. Bad player just calls. UTG calls. Caller folds. Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I raise, bad player folds, UTG re-raises, I call. River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I call.

Results: <font color="white">UTG has KdKh </font>

-J
Old 10-10-2006, 04:24 AM

Default Re: AK gone wrong

Hand 1: Looks to be a fair chance you are benind to AQ but you need to raise the turn to protect your hand. The pot is gigantic so hopefully players with 3-4 outs will decent they are drawing dead and fold.

Hand 2: Perfect
Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 PM

I think you played both of these hands well.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:22 PM

Location: 9 to 5ing it the hard way.. but I am out of the house and meeting people.

both hands look fine to me. Its important not to become results oriented and make good poker decisions, which you did in this case. nh.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Looks to be a fair chance you are benind to AQ but you need to raise the turn to protect your hand. The pot is gigantic so hopefully players with 3-4 outs will decent they are drawing dead and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

we are too big of a dog here - a check raise is burning money. the only other line here is to donk the turn if the flop capper is capable of playing a flush draw that fast.

hand 2 I don't like the turn raise. you have the nut king, but UTG is showing a lot of strength donking into the guy that donked into the preflop capper on a K high flop (lots of donking going on here). this is a ton of strength. the preflop capper isn't folding AA, and he isn't calling two cold with TT-QQ, but he may overcall. try to get him to. you're much better off getting two bets a piece from two players than just UTG.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:44 PM

I normally would play the hand like you said exactly for the reasons you stated. However, in this case, the pre-flop capper was horrible and the UTG was a bit loose. I had a sense that the capper had a small chance to river me with two pair or something. Also, the UTG thinks that I am a total rock, and I thought if I raised him on the turn he would even give me credit for three kings. Since a K was on board and I had a K in my hand, I thought this was so unlikely that he actually had KK. UTG was loose and playing at lower stakes than he normally would play at and could have a lot of hands. He could be betting A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], KQd, KJd. I thought in this case a raise would be a better play, to knock out the one pair draw and to get checked to on the river if a diamond or another goofy card fell. Unfortunately, UTG had KK and I my play blew up in my face. I should have folded to his 3-bet, but was getting 6-1 on the call-down, and thought he either now had KKK or probably I was still good. Since KKK was so unlikely, I called him down.

-J
Old 10-10-2006, 09:01 PM

Your advice goes very much against what TOP and SSH say to do in big pots...