Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Question re min buy ins

I just switched from Party to Absolute. I play the 6 max 1/.50 and buy in for the $200 max. Unlike at Party, I notice that a significant percentage of the players, about 40%, buy in for the $40 minimum. Probably a dumb question, but what is the rationale? I just do not get it. Every once in a while, some guy will go on a run and end up with a normal stack, but the vast majority of the time they bust out. The are easy to bluff too because by the time we get to the turn of a good sized pot, they have to go all in to keep playing.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Question re min buy ins

I would imagine their rationale is that they aren't comfortable enough to play deep and therefore have an easier time playing shortstacked, fewer/simpler decisions. I don't think I agree with your logic that they're easier to bluff. Unless they're absolutely terrible (which could very well be the case) they're generally playing tighter and will be forced to get their stack in anytime they have a piece. It's hard to bluff someone who is getting decent odds and doesn't have to worry about calling your bets on later streets.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:40 AM

The myth that shortstack opposition is easier to bluff comes from tournament play, where big stacks can bully the smaller stacks with the threat of elimination. Such threat does not exist in cash game play where you can simply pull out another buy-in. If your opponents are playing a short stack correctly, you should be more inclined to stay away from them unless you have solid values.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponents are playing a short stack correctly, you should be more inclined to stay away from them unless you have solid values.

[/ QUOTE ]

you will see this next to never at ssnl
Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponents are playing a short stack correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

Still something to keep in mind for those times you see a shorty fold for an hour then come to life.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I agree that the short stacked players should play tighter, but it sure does not seem like they do. Absolute is odd: half rock garden, playing too tight trying to get their bonuses, and half these people buying in for $40 at a time. My frustration relates to the fact that the truly bad players do not have that much money on the table.