Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2006, 01:23 AM

Default finally a good semibluff?

pretty good 40/80 game at the borg. I'm up a ton at this point (like 50 bbs in 10 hrs) and have a pretty solid image considering I'm pretty drunk by now but still playing my A-game for the most part.

quiet old guy (qog) limps in EP (didn't know much about him at the time), for some reason its folded to me on the button and w/

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

and I raise, sb and bb call (probably had a read at the time but can't recall what exactly)

flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

sb checks, bb checks, qog bets, I call, sb folds, bb folds.

turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

qog bets, I raise.

yeah? no?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:32 AM

Default Re: finally a good semibluff?

i like the turn play

you have a little bit of showdown value if it was possibly that he was donking like QJ or something on the flop, and your equity at this point cant be bad at all against a pair

i dont play live much but i think old guys generally have a reputation for being pretty weak tight, so you probably have some at least decent fold equity against a pair too

im actually not sure what the best flop play would have been though, you clearly cant fold, but i dont know if i like letting the blinds in behind you for only one bet, i dont know whats right here though
Old 01-29-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like the turn play

you have a little bit of showdown value if it was possibly that he was donking like QJ or something on the flop, and your equity at this point cant be bad at all against a pair

i dont play live much but i think old guys generally have a reputation for being pretty weak tight, so you probably have some at least decent fold equity against a pair too

im actually not sure what the best flop play would have been though, you clearly cant fold, but i dont know if i like letting the blinds in behind you for only one bet, i dont know whats right here though

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it's kinda hard to identify good spots to semibluff w/out being results oriented. I'm still not sure I like this one (even though it worked at the time)

you pretty much nailed my thoughts on this one. I put him on a Tx kind of hand on the flop considering the weak lead into the preflop raiser. I picked the bd flush draw + gutshot and overs so even if he does call the raise, my equity against a pair is pretty solid. The Ace was a perfect scare card, and him being an old guy (the weak/tight stereotype) and it all just added up to a good spot to raise.

I think the flop is a call, btw.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:41 PM

God that's beautiful. Standard, but beautiful.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:48 PM

very easy semibluff imo nh
Old 01-29-2006, 02:53 PM

yes I like this a lot. Recently I've been semi-bluff raising a lot more turns than I used to. If you write out the math you only need to generate a fold a fairly small portion of the time to show a profit when you have this many outs.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:18 PM

With all those outs it's a freaking value bet.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 PM

qog's dont tend to fold but that's a great card to semibluff at, i like your chances. nice hand. do this more than once every couple sessions and prepare to be looked up right and left and whispered about as "the maniac in seat 3".
Old 01-29-2006, 11:13 PM

Turn play looks good to me, but I'd probably raise the flop personally to hopefully clear the field a bit. As played, the turn raise is easy b/c you could possibly get a fold if old man is weak tight and if not you have plenty of outs. And of course, if you hit, you bet the end.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2006, 03:06 AM

What's the standard play if you don't hit at the end?
Back when I thought I was a good player I used to bluff this river trying to fold his middle pair. But lately I've been running so bad (like someone calling me down with an underpair) I probably check it down.