Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Trying not to suck at NL: AKA Live 2/5 hand

This took place at the trop in AC. I moved up to 2/5 to chase losses after losing a buy-in at drunken 1/2 NL the night before. I had been at the table for maybe 30-40 minutes and had limited reads. I had ~440 left in front of me from a starting full stack of 500 (I usually reload religiously when I play 1/2, but this was my first time playing 2/5 live). Nobody had been playing too crazy up until this point. Villain in this hand seemed to be a little on the aggressive side, but seemed competent. It is probably worthy to note that villain appeared to be drunk but not so much that he couldn't play/think. I had been playing tight and he probably viewed me as such.

The hand:

I am in LP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain is in the BB and covers me. Three limpers to me and I limp as well (sometimes raise/sometimes limp here but I had been playing like a puss so decided to limp accordingly). SB completes and BB checks his option.

Flop (Pot- $30): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Five checks to me and I check as well. My standard is to bet out here but the board was sooo dry and I had been playing so tight that I decided to try and let someone catch up just a bit.

Turn (Pot- $30): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets $10, two guys in MP call 10$ and I make it $50 straight. SB folds and BB comes back over the top making it $150. Both players in MP fold and the action is back on me. I have about $380 behind at this point so $280 assuming I just call.

What line do you guys take here and why? I have some thoughts that I want to get into but I would like to hear some responses here first.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Trying not to suck at NL: AKA Live 2/5 hand

I suspect shoving and flat calling here will esentially achieve the same results. You say he is not crazy, so I would expect to see at least a 9 here everytime. I would probably just shove, he's not folding a worse 9 here.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM

if I was the villian and had the 9-6, 9-2, or 6-6 full house I just call your $50, hoping to make $40 more off each of the two MP players chasing a dead flush draw, and hoping they'll catch a river diamond. Then I CR-allin on the river. So I think you're ahead here.

He bet $10 to suck people in, and succeeded, but then re-raises to shut out a flush draw. I think it's another 9.

Also possible, A2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] / 78[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] / 10-7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] / 85[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. But I don't C/R with a possibly dead draw.

OK, the one variant I'm not sure about, what about 2-2. Hmm...
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM

you have position right? tank and then call.

stacks are too short to be worrying about folding. concentrate on maximizing earn against a worse nine.

btw, this line = monster. lead tiny then 3 bet huge, usually done by bad players. the type of bad player who thinks Q9 is the nuts here. of course he coudl be doing it with deuces full too. but tought [censored] for you. time to go broke.

either way, money too short to worry about that too much. just call and let him value bet his stack into you.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:15 PM

ALL YOU CAN EAT BABY!

Should have bet the flop though. Usually in this spot family pot checking and allowing someone to catch up usually results in you loosing a big pot b/c while your hand is under represented they have to still be worried about someone slow playing so not going to get much action from a fairly str8 forward player unless your beat in this instance with the drunk all you can eat. Most likely has J9 or something along those lines
Old 10-09-2006, 07:27 PM

My thinking was that he MIGHT get away from Q9/J9/etc if I put it all in on the turn. But then again, a lot of players overvalue their hands and I tend to forget this simple fact. I thought that by shoving the turn, any boat is going to insta-call, and hands that are way way behind or pure air are going to fold. I quickly came to the decision that folding any point during the hand was definately out of the question. I "tanked" for 20 seconds before making the turn call.

The river fell an offsuit 10 and he moved in pretty quickly. I called not feeling that great about it but felt it was correct given the line I took. He tables 87o for the rivered straight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The reason I am posting this is because my friend said I should have just shoved the turn over his 3-bet, but I told him that I felt that line had little value and hindsight is always 20/20.

Was my thinking more or less correct here? BTW, my friend who stayed at the table a couple more hours after I left said that the villain in this hand proved his aggressiveness later... when he overbet bluffed the river for $500 into a ~$350 pot on a QQ987 board. He was called by an asian guy who covered him w/ 66 and his hand was good...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 PM

you shove the turn allin. you get paid off by alot of 9's here. you also show agression and the large bet of 280, roughly the pot, could be seen as a resteal by a big draw, hoping a small 9 will fold. and a 'dry' board as you say has sudenly turned into a huge draw heavy board with 1 card to come. allin here is a no brainer imho. make people pay for the draw and stack another 9.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM

your line is fine.

your asian friend may have called an allin on the turn with just a draw; food for thought in the future. live people are retards.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your line is fine.

your asian friend may have called an allin on the turn with just a draw; food for thought in the future. live people are retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend wasn't the one who made the crazy river call, he just witnessed it. The call was made on the river BTW, after all the cards were out so the guy made the call hoping the crazy villain had complete air. My friend and I also discussed this hand as well, feeling his read may have been right but if crazy guy was bluffing bottom/middle pair, 66 isn't a good bluff catcher on that board.