Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 01:56 AM

Default lowest income you could live on

In development economics, I learned that the World Bank estimated in 2004 that 1.1 Billion people live on less than $1 a day (link). While there is some problems with making precise estimates, these figures do account for differences in costs of living in different countries. I still find it hard to imagine how people subsist on such amounts.

I once asked my roommate, who studied in China, what Chinese peasant live on. She said in coastal villages, fish paste is a staple. Basically you through a bunch of whole fish in a jar and boil them for a long time and eat that. Probably not tasty, but cheap.

Anyway, my question is what is the least amount of money you could get by with in America (or in your country of residence). You can live anywhere in the country, and you don't have to have a home, but you must intake enough food and find shelter from the elements so that you will survive.

Also, what things would you buy? Would you eat sardines every day? What is the cheapest source of nutrition? Where can you find the cheapest clothes (dumpsters)? Maybe this thread will brind out the hobo on OOT.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 AM

Default Re: lowest income you could live on

a tent, a backpack, fishing gear, and a bicycle with one of those things to tie crap onto.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:02 AM

I currently attempt to limit my expenses to around $750/month including all rent and utilities and have been pretty successful at it. I imagine if forced to I could live on less by eliminating any entertainment costs whatsoever, walking/biking everywhere I go, and limiting food expenses even more than what I already try to limit them too, but that would really be [censored].
Old 10-09-2006, 02:03 AM

It would be trivial to live in the US on zero dollars a day. Dumpster dive, dumpster dive, dumpster dive. You could cloth feed and find items to make a hobo shelter with no problem. It would suck, but but people do it.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, my question is what is the least amount of money you could get by with in America (or in your country of residence). You can live anywhere in the country, and you don't have to have a home, but you must intake enough food and find shelter from the elements so that you will survive.

[/ QUOTE ]
0$

I'd live in the forest and make a shelter for myself. I'd hunt with a bow and arrow for food and start a small garden. If this answer isn't fair because it wouldn't be legal to live on gov property like this my answer is still 0 but I'd live more like a hobo.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be trivial to live in the US on zero dollars a day. Dumpster dive, dumpster dive, dumpster dive. You could cloth feed and find items to make a hobo shelter with no problem. It would suck, but but people do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope veganmav will show up to give his expert commentary. i wonder if there are some things you need that you simply cannot get from dumpster diving.

also consider if you could not dumpster dive what would you get? canned tuna every day? what is the cheapest nutrition you can buy? maybe sardines.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:12 AM

klompy,
hunting with a bow and arrow is not foolproof. are you a skilled archer? are you going to fashion your bow and arrows yourself, or will you get them from the salvation army?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the cheapest nutrition you can buy? maybe sardines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rice and beans. If I had to buy food I guess it would bump it up to around fifty cents a day.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:16 AM

Getting by on $0 would probably be a breeze in Canada. free health care means a lot.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
klompy,
hunting with a bow and arrow is not foolproof. are you a skilled archer? are you going to fashion your bow and arrows yourself, or will you get them from the salvation army?

[/ QUOTE ]

am I allowed to take current possesions I have into the woods with me? If so I wouldn't have to construct one. I think between hunting/fishing and whatever else the forest could offer me I'd be able to survive. Also, I'd move further south from where I am right now so that winter wouldn't be as big of an issue.