Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Aliens and the existence of God

Does the fact that we've never had undisputable evidence of an alien life form prove the existance of God? Talk amongst yourselves.

P.S. Would love to have a thread without negative banter. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Aliens and the existence of God

Maybe a better question would be if somehow in the future we are able to determine that life has not existed anywhere but on Earth, would that shift the likelihood of some type of God.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:48 AM

I agree...that would be an amazing discovery...but do you think that will be possible someday?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the fact that we've never had undisputable evidence of an alien life form prove the existance of God? Talk amongst yourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your statement is way too premature. Only in the last few weeks have we had evidence that there are billions of planets in existence in our galaxy alone.

PS Before asking others to talk about something, how about giving your opinion first
Old 10-09-2006, 01:06 AM

So the negative plea didn't work...oh well...

anyway...here is my opinion...

My opinion doesn't need science, but it's more of a math exercise (which I won't actually put up any hard numbers). If there are really billions of planets in our galaxy alone, there would most likely be an astronomical number of planets in the universe. Based on those numbers, the odds would be so tremendously favored towards an alien life form somewhere in the universe it is unimaginable, therefore making the odds that one of those groups would/could make a trip to earth also astronomical. Therefore, it is my opinion that since that hasn't happened, we were created alone in the image of God, only on earth, nowhere else.

I would welcome comments to punch holes in this, but please do so politely. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Would love to have a thread without negative banter. Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

prove?..no

I am no math/probability genius like some of you, so I don't really know the implications of whether or not we know the probability that we would discover alien life forms if there are any, but it seems like that would be necessary to answer your question.

for instance I think (although I really don't know) that if it was known that there are 1 million planets, and 1 thousand of them would have alien life if there was no god, then depending on how many planets we had looked at (and we found no alien life), we could come up with a probability that god exists..

I know it is not this simple, but it seems like we would have to come up with some estimates in order to come to any conclusions on this subject..am I wrong?

DS, I have a feeling that you already know the answer to your own question...although I think that may be the case with most of your questions...that is, unless you are not the mythical figure I make you out to be in my mind [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2006, 01:10 AM

"Based on those numbers, the odds would be so tremendously favored towards an alien life form somewhere in the universe it is unimaginable, therefore making the odds that one of those groups would/could make a trip to earth also astronomical."

Speed of light
Old 10-09-2006, 01:13 AM

Please explain David...I am no where near as intelligent as you. I mean that in the most sincere way possible.

btw..thank you for commenting in this thread
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on those numbers, the odds would be so tremendously favored towards an alien life form somewhere in the universe it is unimaginable, therefore making the odds that one of those groups would/could make a trip to earth also astronomical. Therefore, it is my opinion that since that hasn't happened, we were created alone in the image of God, only on earth, nowhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not very good at math I admit... but I don't think your argument follows. It's one thing to say there is a high likelihood of some form of alien life on another planet. It's another to say they would have likely visited earth by now.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:16 AM

I agree...that is the weakest part of my argument. But I am looking at odds here again. If there were that many alien life forms, surely one would have come by now.