Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Best Low Stakes Omaha 8 Games in Vegas?

Help a brother out! I'm going to be in Vegas this coming Thursday night until Monday night.

I'm willing to play 3/6 - 6/12. I want to play a loose game with at least 5 callers pre-flop. Also, any tips on best times as well would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Best Low Stakes Omaha 8 Games in Vegas?

O8? Just forget it, lol. All the 08 games are generally old persons nit fest in this town.

O8 games spread regularly below 10/20:
Orleans 4/8 with half kill
Mirage 5/10 full kill

um...thast all I can think of for hi/low regular games.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:33 PM

Palace Station also usually has a 3/6 game going. Its a little less nitty then the Orleans game, but not a whole lot.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM

Red Rock Station often has a 4-8 going.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:45 PM

I don't mind an O8 game full of old folks. It's the O8 games full of old folks who softplay each other but gang up on the new guy that disturb me.

My one visit to RedRock the O8 game looked pretty good, actually. Not so old, not so nitty. But I didn't sit in it.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 AM

the orleans 4/8 O8 game is decent, and wynn occasionally has 6/12... and that wasnt bad either.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind an O8 game full of old folks. It's the O8 games full of old folks who softplay each other but gang up on the new guy that disturb me.

My one visit to RedRock the O8 game looked pretty good, actually. Not so old, not so nitty. But I didn't sit in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Softplaying each other" seems pretty common -- plenty of these guys have been playing with each other for many years and are in relax-and-play-cards mode, not explore-thin-valuebetting mode. Therefore there are some explicit and implicit agreements to not bet hard at each other.

"Ganging up on the new guy" seems very rare. I haven't seen anything collusive in my considerable time at Vegas O8 tables, though I haven't played the games mentioned in the OP.

OP: I wouldn't worry about being colluded against. Omaha regulars can be cranky but many are very pleasant older gentlemen, especially if you don't come across as a smug Internet punk.

--Nate
Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
"Softplaying each other" seems pretty common -- plenty of these guys have been playing with each other for many years and are in relax-and-play-cards mode, not explore-thin-valuebetting mode. Therefore there are some explicit and implicit agreements to not bet hard at each other.

"Ganging up on the new guy" seems very rare. I haven't seen anything collusive in my considerable time at Vegas O8 tables, though I haven't played the games mentioned in the OP.

OP: I wouldn't worry about being colluded against. Omaha regulars can be cranky but many are very pleasant older gentlemen, especially if you don't come across as a smug Internet punk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played o/8 in Vegas so this might not apply but I noticed this a lot the last time I played o/8 outside my regular cardroom. There would be lots of action , like raised and reraised when I was in a pot but if I folded the flop or the turn, then it often got checked down.

I would like to play in that game but I don't think I can beat the game. Reason number one is,, I am not a very good Omaha player. Reason numbet two is, I feel like I get charged the maximim to play a hand but they are allowing each other to pay the minimum to play.

I think the game is beatable but I have never had a winning session there so I don't know if it is because I suck at O/8 or this situation is just enough to make sure that I lose. I am a bad Omaha player so it doesn't take much to tip the scales.

It has caused me to rethink returning to that game. I am not sure how bad it hurts me to play in that situation.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played o/8 in Vegas so this might not apply but I noticed this a lot the last time I played o/8 outside my regular cardroom. There would be lots of action , like raised and reraised when I was in a pot but if I folded the flop or the turn, then it often got checked down.

I would like to play in that game but I don't think I can beat the game. Reason number one is,, I am not a very good Omaha player. Reason numbet two is, I feel like I get charged the maximim to play a hand but they are allowing each other to pay the minimum to play.

I think the game is beatable but I have never had a winning session there so I don't know if it is because I suck at O/8 or this situation is just enough to make sure that I lose. I am a bad Omaha player so it doesn't take much to tip the scales.

It has caused me to rethink returning to that game. I am not sure how bad it hurts me to play in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steamboatin --

Similarly, I've never played in your games, so I could be wrong about any of what follows.

Any O8 game that's aggressive preflop is different from what I'm used to. Similar comments apply to the turn and especially the river: a river raise usually means a hand that's a lock to get 75% or more. On the flop, however, many of these guys like to get aggressive and push their hands (often correctly). So what you experienced might have been in line with how they usually played their hands. Did you notice a difference between flops you played and flops you didn't? (Remember that the flops you saw were more likely to be multiway flops, where they might have been more inclined to raise to thin the field.)

I don't want to be dismissive of your worries, but it's great to have O8 in your arsenal -- the games can be great and reduced variance can be convenient for a variety of reasons. Also some of us just get in the mood for it sometimes. I'd recommend you keep studying and give it another shot, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

--Nate
Old 10-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Steamboatin --

Similarly, I've never played in your games, so I could be wrong about any of what follows.

Any O8 game that's aggressive preflop is different from what I'm used to. Similar comments apply to the turn and especially the river: a river raise usually means a hand that's a lock to get 75% or more. On the flop, however, many of these guys like to get aggressive and push their hands (often correctly). So what you experienced might have been in line with how they usually played their hands. Did you notice a difference between flops you played and flops you didn't? (Remember that the flops you saw were more likely to be multiway flops, where they might have been more inclined to raise to thin the field.)

I don't want to be dismissive of your worries, but it's great to have O8 in your arsenal -- the games can be great and reduced variance can be convenient for a variety of reasons. Also some of us just get in the mood for it sometimes. I'd recommend you keep studying and give it another shot, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I don't really know because I only go there to play O/8 and I only go on the day it runs. So I don't know how they play when I am not there. I am confident they play much more aggressively when I am in the hand. I may be sufering from selective memory but I don't remember ever checking down a hand that I was involved in but I should put a disclaimer, if I am in the hand I am most likely betting so maybe they figure if I don't let the have free cards, they won't let me play cheap either.

I don't want to come out and say they are cheating because I could very well be wrong. I usually bet or raise if I am in the hand and the only time I check is if I have nothing or am slow playing a monster.

It is very likely that because I try to play tight and aggressive, they are unwilling to check it down with me. I raise preflop and that doesn't make any friends at the typical O/8 table.