Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 04:56 PM

Default building a computer

actually my friend is gonna do the building for me, he has build several computers in his lifetime. Basically I am just gonna list the things I need and people that know about this stuff will hopefully give me advice/tips/let me know of any particularly good deals they know off.

MONITOR - I think you need 1600x1200 to 4-table w/o overlap (is this number right) so I want at least this much resolution. I guess I am looking at 19" or 20".

MOTHERBOARD - don't know [censored] about these

PROCESSOR - don't know too much about these either, want to go dual, other than that just need something solid but doesn't need to be fantastic.

GRAPHICS CARD - again will probably get something solid but not top-of-the-line. I may be doing a small small amount of video editing and I will be getting a dual-monitor in the future, so it needs to be able to handle that.

KEYBOARD/MOUSE - don't need anything fancy, will just get a standard one unless someone comes out with a good deal or something.

I know i forgot a lot of stuff but those are the things I am most unsure about. thanks for your help.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own
Default Re: building a computer

samsung 204b or dell 2007fp for monitor
Old 10-08-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: building a computer

What are you looking to spend? Cheapish and quick - E6300 C2Duo, any old compatible mobo (I got the Gigabyte DS4, cheapest decent one at the time, Asus v good) would recommend 2 Gig memory (esp if video editing), SATA HDD with big cache if you're PTing or get extra hd to stick databases on, monitor as above.
This may give a few ideas but I'd drop the cpu down to the E6300 and look for a cheaper mobo. Sadly all the sites I visit default to UK prices (be thankful you don't have to pay those at least!) If your friend builds PCs on a regular basis he should be able to customise a parts list for yor specific needs.
EDIT: Don't forget OS if needed. Maybe you can use drives/case/PSU from your current system, check with friend.