Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Scary or disturbing fast food (or non-fast food) restaurants

On my way to breakfast this morning with a relative visiting New York at Blue Fin in Times Square I passed by Tad's Steaks. Tad's Steaks appears to be a cheap fast food/very casual steak place--they have like $5.99 t-bones and whatnot. Everyone in New York seems to know about Tad's but no one I know has actually eaten there.

This got me thinking about some of the more disturbing fast food franchises I've come across. Some of them just seem like a bad idea, some of them are just bad.

Another one that comes to mind is Biscuitville, which I ate at a few times in college and regretted soon thereafter.

Also, I can't verify if it's scary or not but when I was in LA I got a kick out of the radio ads for Del Taco, where one of the combo meals is tacos and fries. Here are some scary items they offer:

In my neighborhood in Brooklyn there used to be a Subway restaurant (since closed) with a Dunkin' Donuts attached. Or so I thought. After about a half-dozen visits I realized that it was, in fact, a Donut Connection franchise, which is a blatant Dunkin' Donuts rip-off! (Think McDowell's in "Coming to America.")

Any others you'd like to share?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Scary or disturbing fast food (or non-fast food) restaurants

Del Taco is awesome.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 AM

Seriously, TGIFriday's scares me. What the [censored] is a 'sizzling triple meat fundido,' and could I honestly picture myself ordering one? Not in a million years.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:58 AM

OP,

PM sent.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:03 AM

lol Great post. Where to begin.

I've actually been reading a TON lately about some of the "finest" restaurants in the world (Michelin multistar restaurants around the world but especially in Europe).

To my mind you can't really argue that Spain's El Bulli, the restaurant billed as the greatest in the world by many a food critic, is also one of the most disturbing. Judge for yourself, pictures of the 2005 menu items, try to find one that actually looks like food (PS if you find one that looks like food, it is probably something else that has been processed in El Bulli's kitchen (equipped with such indispensable culinary equipment as CENTRIFUGES and LIQUID NITROGEN vats) to look like something else): http://www.elbulli.com/catalogo/cata...05&id=1095

El Bulli "food":
Old 10-08-2006, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone in New York seems to know about Tad's but no one I know has actually eaten there.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a phenomenon that cannot be comprehended by the minds of humans. The place is consistantly packed yet I don't know anyone that's ever set foot inside, and neither does anyone else. We should test a 6 degrees of Tad's Steaks theory.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone in New York seems to know about Tad's but no one I know has actually eaten there.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a phenomenon that cannot be comprehended by the minds of humans. The place is consistantly packed yet I don't know anyone that's ever set foot inside, and neither does anyone else. We should test a 6 degrees of Tad's Steaks theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had completely forgotten about Tad's Steaks. I've eaten at Tad's a few times and thought it was pretty good. I remember wondering about how good it could be at that price (it was even cheaper then) but I was surprised. Of course, I was much younger then and could digest things. I live in Arizona now and there is a dearth of interesting places like Tad's. Thanks for the memories.

As to scary restaurants:

Imo, nothing is scarier than a White Castle in the South Bronx at 3 am.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY 'EFFEN LOL!!!!

And how the hell are you supposed to eat some of that crap??? And WTF, PEACH PAPER, GET THE F OUT!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:23 AM

Intellectually Arby's is pretty [censored] disgusting.

But I still eat it because it tastes so goot.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Intellectually Arby's is pretty [censored] disgusting.

But I still eat it because it tastes so goot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arby's is not half as bad as Taco Bell. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em both. But, I don't think Arby's deserves to be in this category, nor does Taco Bell.

I'm hungry now.