Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Jericho- dealing with nuclear fallout

OK, I know this show sucks. The writing is terrible and the characters are worse. However, I like the idea about a show that deals with post nuclear war survival, so I've watched the first three episodes. I don't really know anything about how you would go about trying to survive in this situation, but am I correct in assuming the way people are dealing with it in Jericho is completely unrealistic and retarded? They stay underground for like a day and then come out; aren't you supposed to stay underground for months if not years?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Jericho- dealing with nuclear fallout

I watch this show...and I ask myself....just imagine if you replaced the main Mayor character with GWB lol
That town would be freaking out knowing that they were seriously FUBAR
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM

I think the staying underground for years is only necessary in event of a massive global nuclear holocaust, not just the bombing of a few cities like in the show.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM

How long you have to stay underground/in shelters depends on a variety of factors from the size of the weapon to the height it was detonated at to weather patterns, etc... Typically, you wouldn't have to stay underground for years, but you certainly couldnt come out immediately after the rain stopped, as all of the fallout material now on the ground would be emitting radiation. Even when it became safe to come out, you would first only be able to stay outside for a few minutes/day safely. You would not have town barbeques encouraging people to be outdoors. The show had potential, it's a shame.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 PM

writing for this show is sooo bad, but I like the general idea.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:26 PM

It is generally considered that you need to be sheltered from radioactive fallout for about 2 weeks.

AB
Old 10-06-2006, 09:59 PM

Read "Alas, Babylon". It's a really good fiction book that deals with the aftermath of a Cold War era nuclear war between the US and the USSR. It's pretty old I think. You can probably get it at the library.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 PM

man that sucks..we had the third episode this week (but i just missed it)...i really like the premise of the show, its a pity:S
Old 10-06-2006, 11:18 PM

Flatline, if you are interested in this, you might try to track down a CD or tape of a TV miniseries aired in 1983 called "The Day After."

Here is a link that provides a very good background and summary of the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

Guess the reason I remember this after all these years is I grew up in a rural area south of KC---the area depicted in this miniseries. Watching the scenes of the MMII missles firing from the silos was like seeing my worst childhood nightmare come to life. (I am ancient by OOT standards, and was a child during the sixties. We had "duck and cover" emergency drills at school for tornados and nukes. I lived less than 2 miles from a silo.)

In fact, the whole thing was my worst childhood nightmare come to life, which is why I have only watched it one time. Not a reflection on the quality of the production at all--it was so well done it had a very profound effect on me.

As far as how long you would have to remain underground and in a shelter, it would depend upon how far you were from ground zero and the prevailing winds. And trust me---the basements and storm cellars we would have headed to would have been no where near enough protection.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:35 AM

In addition, just being inside doesn't seem like enough. Most of them didn't head to bomb shelters or anything, they just went indoors. Would that really protect you from nuclear fallout?