Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Why ban American players?

Could someone clarify this for me: Why would a site (eg PartyPoker) actually ban players? I mean what they do has already been illegal for years (i.e. taking online bets). CEO's have already been indicted and/or arrested on racketeering charges, so how does it help these sites, which are based overseas, by banning players. They've already broken the US Law anyways!!
Old 10-06-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Why ban American players?

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone clarify this for me: Why would a site (eg PartyPoker) actually ban players? I mean what they do has already been illegal for years (i.e. taking online bets). CEO's have already been indicted and/or arrested on racketeering charges, so how does it help these sites, which are based overseas, by banning players. They've already broken the US Law anyways!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Online poker is not illegal in the US. Sports betting is. Those previously arrested were running off-shore sports books. No one has been arrested solely for runing a poker site.

Party and others have (erroneously) interpreted the new law as making online poker illegal in the US, and jumped the gun. A big reason for being jumpy is that Party has business contracts, lines of credit, etc., in Europe that revolve around the legality of poker in the US.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Because when the DOJ picks a poker site to make an example of as they have with the sports books, they're going to pick one who continues to thumb their nose at them.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:57 PM

Because it's Party, the stupidest people on the planet.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 PM

Parties official statement:
It does not say that it will ban USA-players!

Weeks, month and years from now, my guess is that I still will be playing against USA-players on Party.
Those Party- executives are going to make a kill on the stock-market, due to this misinterpretation of this statement!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 PM

Good time to buy shares in party? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2006, 11:11 PM

In this thread you say
[ QUOTE ]
Online poker is not illegal in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

In an earlier thread you say
[ QUOTE ]
It is certainly illegal to operate an online poker site in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it and why?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Which is it and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Federal Court System in the US has so far determined that the Wire Act only applies to sports betting. In a case of MasterCard v. a bunch of customers who lost money with online gambling, both federal district courts and federal court of appeals ruled that the wire act only applied to sports betting, and therefore the customers still owed the $$$ to mastercard (they were arguing that they didn't owe the money since online gambling was illegal.) However, since the US Supreme Court hasn't weighed in on the issue yet, there is no final ruling on the interpretation of this law. Often times the supreme court will wait for a few different district court decisions on a particular issue, then they will step in if there is a disagreement, or if they othewise feel compelled to. Hope this helps!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this thread you say
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing online poker in the U.S. and running an internet gambling site inside the U.S. are two different things. I don't know the legal issues around opperating a site within U.S. borders, but I'm sure the risk of being arrested, going to court etc... is pretty high regardless.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In this thread you say
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing online poker in the U.S. and running an internet gambling site inside the U.S. are two different things. I don't know the legal issues around opperating a site within U.S. borders, but I'm sure the risk of being arrested, going to court etc... is pretty high regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

His first premise was that "online poker is not illegal in the US". Why would it follow that "it is certainly illegal to operate an online poker site in the US." If the demand is legal in all the States, why is the supply not? I can buy crap from Amazon or ebay or whatever, but only if they stay out of the US?

My point is his first premise is likely false. If instead, online poker is legal in the US, then the new law WON'T apply to anyone and we can all live happily ever after.