Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 AM

Default I confused my opponents, kind of shocked me

My last few tournaments I had comments from others at the table that indicated they were confused with my play. I was kind of shocked the first time because I didn't think I was being tricky but the second time I was suprised by the comment I got even though it was a semi bluff type of play.

I pretty much don't talk at the table but I did respond in both cases. The first was a b/m O/8 tourney with rebuys the first 3 rounds. I was really berated by several players and I think it was more because of the location, Club One in Fresno, than anything else. These guys play each other every day and I am up there 3 or 4 times a year. They don't remember me but I remember every one of them that I have played so I had some idea of what I was up against.

The second one was an online tourney where I used one of Sklanskys recommendations on picking several hands to play that would make my play seem random. We went to showdown so I had to show since I won and it really got the table riled up. Again, I did respond to some comments but gave up and shut the chat off when they just couldn't get over the hand I played.

So, now that I have gotten to the 'confusing' state of my game, how should I be handling the chatter? In a B/M I am sitting right there. I don't want to get someone to focus on beating me but I would like them to make mistakes against me.

For online, I normally don't have the chat on but if I do should I just ignore and get information from it or should I say a few words?

TIA
Old 10-06-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Re: I confused my opponents, kind of shocked me

Omaha hands can often look strange to ppl once you show down but make sense if you review it street by street.

I find the same thing at my local B&M I don't go there that often so don't get remembered but I remember them. If they don't know you they assume donk.

The last time I was there I made the final table with a short stack after pushing junk twice and winning. I got comments and even had my stack pointed to when we broke for a break and told "that'll be gone in 5 minutes". Of course if one of the regulars pushes with junk when short stacked no-one bats an eyelid.

I just squash it into an angry ball deep down in the pit of my stomach. I think thats the best way to deal with it.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM

I usually agree with whatever they are saying. Inside I am feeling bad for them that they can not get all their brain cells firing on a new idea. They are like adults who can not eat anything their mother was not feeding them when they were two....

It's always FM until you take the time to understand.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 AM

Well if you're choosing hands pf so you'll look random, I mean the point of that is confusing your opponents.

"No, no, you don't understand, I was trying to decieve you."