Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Scuba Equipment

Can anyone give me advice on where to buy scuba equipment, what brands to buy and what price range to look for?

I need a BC vest, regulator, octopus and a dive computer. I am a new diver, taking open water certification right now. I live in south florida though so I anticipate diving alot so I want to get good equipment, like just a step or two below top of the line.

My instructor has recommended some things, but I don't really trust his advice because he just sold me a wetsuit that I could have got online for over $100 cheaper.

Aqualung is a standard brand for good equipment right? What about Sherwood? I found a nicely priced Sherwood complete package here - Link

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Scuba Equipment

i've been out of serious diving for a few years now but here's somethings that i remember and what i ran into:

good mask fit is probably the most important criteria. visibility is second. some masks have clear panels on the side to look out of giving you less restricted view.

good fins. if you have weak calves, feet, get fins that are softer and have more flex.

regulators, just go with something reputable. don't need to go top shelf but definitely do not go bargain hunting for something that is your lifeine.

BCDs: this is mostly a style and comfort issue and you don't need a lot of extras that come with a BCD. if you want to match your BCD to your wetsuit and have everthing color coded, knock yourself out.

although i have a full emsemble in my closet, when i go diving these days, I go with rig called a hawaiian backpack. weightbelt, two regs, depth/air gauge, and custom built "BCD" which is a plank of wood n that straps onto the tank and two shoulder straps bolted on. i dive only in warm waters so i either go spring suit or just a top and go anywhere from 30-100 ft.

a guy i know just to be a serious diver (300+ ft) and if you want to get that serious, let me know and i'll go ask what equipment he used.

you should also be looking at scubapro equipment.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 AM

Howzit is right, mask is key.

I have my own mask/fins, but just rent bcd/regs/etc. whenever I go...which is not very often. That way you don't have to lug all that [censored].

Wow, I really really wanna go diving now.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have my own mask/fins, but just rent bcd/regs/etc. whenever I go...which is not very often. That way you don't have to lug all that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

How much does it cost to rent that crap?

I already got a decent mask. Tusa for $50 or so.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:06 PM

Been diving for about 30 years, and after owning my own equip for a lot of years, now prefer to rent good stuff. Definitely want your own mask, fin, snorkel and reg. Tank, weights, BCD, wet suit are easier to just rent. You don't have to spend time rinsing and hanging all this stuff after each dive, carting it around, having your tank inspected and checked, waiting for fills. Unless you really dive alot, the minor expense of renting stuff for $30-40 is worth it to me. I'm on the west coast, and most dives are resort dives on vacation, or boat dives. It's nice to just show up, use the stuff and leave it. Just my $.02
Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 PM

Be aware that Leisure Pro sells a lot of "grey market" equipment, so the manufacturer's warranty won't be honored. That's not to say they sell crap, just to make you aware before you buy.

I've found the forums over at www.scubaboard.com to be very helpful in equipment recommendations. I'd say that unless you'll be diving more than once every month or two, the only equipment you really need to own are fins, mask, snorkel, & gloves/booties depending on where you're diving. I don't dive nearly enough to warrant the cost of a regulator, but it would be nice to have.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much does it cost to rent that crap?

I already got a decent mask. Tusa for $50 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know exactly, but it's cheap compared to the cost of going out on a dive boat.