Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 PM

Default My story

I'm a regular on party/the board, but I'm not yet eighteen. As my online career comes to an end as a result of this new legislation, I guess I'll finally tell my story.

Nobody really knows about it, because it's always been a secret. I would guess that most of the posters on this board would think I'm probably another math-nerd college student hitting a bananza while studying for calculus tests. Well, part of that is true. I am very good at math, but I'm not yet a senior in high school.

My online career begins about three years ago. My older brother had always been a great math mind, and we would talk about stuff like game theory, nash equilibriums, and string theory at the dinner table (even though I was 13). One day, he comes home and tells me he started playing poker. I really didn't know anything about hold'em, but whenever I would play for a couple minutes with my friends, I remember chasing back-door flushes thinking I had a 1 in 16 chance to hit (obv before I studied probability).

I was pretty much intrigued. He came home from college for one weekend, and I pretty much watched him play poker for the entire weekend. At this time, he was probably a small winner in the empire 25NL (.25/.50) game, which was incomprehensibly soft. Nonetheless, I knew exponentially less than he, so I took anything he said to be gospel. At the time, he pretty much played as nitty as possible, and I remember going over hand charts in Skalansky's FL book to see what hands could be played from what positions. I didn't really care about playing-- I just wanted to learn.

So learn I did. I borrowed his poker library, and began studying. I watched him play online, and set up a play money account on empire. I read, then played, then read some more, then tried to figure out the secret to the game, then reviewed HH's, and played some more.

One day when I was now 14, while my brother was away, I logged into his account, and sat down at a few tables. I played for around 2 hours, and won 140$. It was love at first session. He watched me play a little more, and finally decided that I was ready to get hooked up with a bankroll of my own. It was win-win for me. I had the potential to make more money than I could ever dream of, but put no risk into it (he gave me 50$, but got 1/3 of my profits).

I started playing, and played a quite a bit for a freshman in high school. I made around 9,000$ in a span of about 4 months. Although nothing outstanding, it's important to understand that before this time I had never seen a sum of money greater than 200$ in my entire life.

Well, it wasn't all glory. Even though I was beating the empire 25NL games for 13BB/100 (slight brag, but pretty pathetic considering), my parents eventually found out about me playing for real money. They had a pretty mixed reaction. While impressed that I could make that amount of money in a relatively short period of time, they thought I was going to become a degenerate, and had no fundamental understanding of the things us poker geeks understand. When I said to them, "It's not gambling... I will win!" and my brother was there trying to explain why via statistics, my parents just saw a potential degenerate in denial.

So that was the end of that. My parents shut me down, withdrew my bankroll (although to my surprise, they let me keep it), and grounded me for 2 months. But I had a dream.

I took a couple months off, then got new life. Pacific was running a free 10$ promotion by signing up for a free account, so I signed up and got my 10$. I started out at .05/.1 FL, and gradually worked my bankroll up to around 9,000 and became a regular in the 200NL game (back when this was the highest NL tables, and you could only 1-table). I was scared to get back on board with my brother for fear of getting caught by my parents again; because if it happened again, I'd be grounded for life.

But again, I did. At the tail end of 2005, my brother gave me another deal to start up again at party. I had still been studying the game and everything, but was still really worried about playing for fear of my parents catching me again. He hooked me up with a 100$ bankroll, but this time he was going to keep 1/2 the profits.

It was never really about the money though. I just enjoy playing and enjoy winning. I get a kick inside every time I pick off a bluff, every time I make a perfect read, and every time I set a perfect trap. Some social-darwinistic aspect of my mind makes it really fun for me to outplay donktards and take their money.

So that was that. To make the last year short and concise, I worked my way up, and netted a little less than 50k these past 10 months with no problems. I never bragged about it, because I was always afraid to get caught. When other kids around me were bragging about the 20$ they had made, I had to keep quiet about the 2k I had made the previous weekend. I only ever told my best friend, because he's the only kid in the world I could trust with it.

But here it is. So when your kid comes up to you at the age of 14 and tells he's a winner in his game, give him a shot. He might be onto something.

Farewell poker, for now.

*** My brother withdrew the money from Pacific straight into his bank account, then made me start over.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Re: My story

tl;dr

don't care.

lol underageaments.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM

If my kid comes home and tells me he's a winner in poker, I'll tell him to go git a rl JEEEEEEEEEB!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM

story is ridiculously inconsistent
Old 10-05-2006, 10:08 PM

I'd say good story...even though I doubt your that young.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But here it is. So when your kid comes up to you at the age of 14 and tells he's a winner in his game, give him a shot. He will lose your money

Farewell poker, for now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 PM

Wait, so you never went busto?

And you had up to 9K from the pacific 10, but then you needed your brother's 100? I don't get it.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
story is ridiculously inconsistent

[/ QUOTE ]

just like a 14 yo
Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And you had up to 9K from the pacific 10, but then you needed your brother's 100? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i couldnt figure this out either

was it because you couldnt deposit into your other account? why would you want to? why not just keep playing on pacific? or do a transfer with someone on here?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM

This must be Empire's little brother.