Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Are Democrats Hypocrites?

considering they re-elected this guy 5 times?

Discuss

Stu
Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Are Democrats Hypocrites?

No seeing as how this happened eons ago, most of the democrats around now were not around then and it has no bearing on the current situation. But hey thanks for the playing the spin game.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No seeing as how this happened eons ago, most of the democrats around now were not around then and it has no bearing on the current situation. But hey thanks for the playing the spin game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about politicians who are democrats but democrats in general. It seems to me that Democrats in general are willing to give thier politcians a pass for moral infractions while republicans will not. 20 some odd years ago their was a sex scandle involving a democrat and a republican. They both were censured. The democrat was relected 5 times while the republican lost his relection bid.

Some years later a democrat president was involved in a sex scandle. His party gives him a pass. They even give him a pass for trying to cover that scandle up, yet now they are crying for Hasterts resignation for hiding a sex scandal.

Here's where I see the hypocrsy and this is what I am interested in discussing. When democrats cry for a republicans resignation on moral grounds, they have a fair chance of getting it becuase republicans will abandon support for a politician if they behave immorally. However when republicans call for a democrats resignation on moral grounds there is little chance of that happening becuase democrats will not abandon thier support for thier politicians when they behave immorally.

I have no love for republicans, but it seems to me they have slightly better character then democrats in this respect.

Stu
Old 10-05-2006, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Discuss

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Sean Hannity Fan? I flipped over for a minute while checking out Ed and Sean was talking about this guy that I have never heard of myself until today. This is a really weak argument.

Do you support Mark Foley?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sean Hannity Fan? I flipped over for a minute while checking out Ed and Sean was talking about this guy that I have never heard of myself until today. This is a really weak argument.

Do you support Mark Foley?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad Foley resigned. Fox has gotten a little too biased so I stopped watching them a long time ago. Anyway you never said what was weak about my argument or bothered to make a cogent point.

Stu
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Who here has ever heard of this guy or this sex scandal? It happened over 20 years ago. We're supposed to condemn politicians today for voting a guy for something he was censured for decades ago?

Maybe its because it was consentual?

BTW- If you're referring to Clinton... A married man have an affair with a consenting adult is not the same as a case of possible exploitation of people on the borderline of 'legal'.

Perhaps the real 'fun' of affairs the world has at the expense of cheating Republicans is because Republicans are the ones legislating and preaching their morals- while breaking them. Its the very hypocrisy of the Republicans which makes it so much more of a big deal when they're caught in their scandals.

[ QUOTE ]
When democrats cry for a republicans resignation on moral grounds, they have a fair chance of getting it becuase republicans will abandon support for a politician if they behave immorally.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this simply isn't true. They support each other all the time. I remember when one of the Republicans pursuing Clinton for the Monica affair stepped down because he had just been caught having an affair with his wife- His fellow Republican Senators tried to compel him to stay! Its fantastic. The guys who spend endless resources trying to bring down the President for having an affair... one of them is having an affair. And all his peers SUPPORT HIM.

If the allegations are true... that high level republicans were told multiple times as far back as 3 years ago that Foley was being sexually inappropriate with young boys; they ignored it. They ignored it until he was publicly exposed. He's heading the comittee protecting young boys from Pedophiles!

Frankly, I don't care about politicians having affairs. It only disturbs me when politicians campaign on these kinds of values while having none of the qualities they campaign on.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 PM

Did Jamie Gold hold any cards?

A system in which one entire house of the legislature is continuously campaigning will almost certainly be one in which there are close to 435 hypocrites. Probably 535. Probably 536.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Discuss

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, keep in mind that these were Massachusets Democrats. Massachusets Democrats have reelected Ted Kennedy several thousand times, so obviously their standards are very low.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But this simply isn't true. They support each other all the time. I remember when one of the Republicans pursuing Clinton for the Monica affair stepped down because he had just been caught having an affair with his wife- His fellow Republican Senators tried to compel him to stay! Its fantastic. The guys who spend endless resources trying to bring down the President for having an affair... one of them is having an affair. And all his peers SUPPORT HIM.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your point is that republican politicians are hyporcrites I agree with you. However the point I made is that everyday joe shmoo democrats(not elected politicians) are in general more hypocritical then republicans.

Do you think this "guy" would have the same support amoung his fellow republicans if he had perjured himself trying to cover up this affair? Also do you know the name of this "guy" or have a link to the story you are referring too, I'm interested in seeing if this "guy" actually exist was re-elected.

Stu
Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the Democrats weren't the only ones voting in the election. So no, DEMOCRATS didn't elect the guy.